Shout Factory Press Release: SCTV Voulume 4

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    SCTV Volume 4

SCTV’s incredible 5th season (yes, that’s Volume 4) finds the show renewed on NBC and still in the 90-minute format. Martin Short explodes in this season with his characters Ed Grimley, Jackie Rogers, Jr., and Brock Linehan. Plus, the Shmenges are back and John Candy does Divine doing Peter Pana and introduces Mr. Mambo.

The Volume 4 box set features four Emmy-nominated shows (“Towering Inferno,” “Christmas Special,” “Midnight Cowboy” and “Sweeps Week”) and includes Robin Williams as a guest in the “Jane Eyrehead” episode.

This set includes an extra DVD (6 DVDs total!) with 3 extra episodes —12 episodes in all. It also includes a collectible set of character trading cards.

Special features include:
    Commentaries with Martin Short and Catherine O’Hara
    Martin Short interview
    3 featurettes

SRP $89.98
    In stores 9/13

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    alright! more SCTV, and Martin Short.

3. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

12 episodes for $90.....these sets are great but they're just too expensive for me.

4. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I'm guessing the music rights are what has made these sets so expensive. I want them but have yet to buy any of them because of the price. I'm waiting for a price drop or a used copy to come along. But evidently there are enough people buying this at full price to warrant multiple sets. I'm hoping the Cinemax episodes are next as I've never seen them. They right before I got cable in the early 80's.

5. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Deep Discount DVD has the set for $53.85. A great deal. Even better, the first three sets are on sale for $35.89 each.

6. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Stunt Coordinator

The superb SCTV site http://sctvguide.ca already has posted a preliminary list of originally broadcast music bits edited from the Volume 4 DVDs. The list notes that the original music from the skit on Episode 6 featuring actors playing Gene Upshaw and Ed Garvey on the Count Floyd Scary Little Christmas special has been replaced "with various frightening sound effects."

The original music is The Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin,'" which I know due to the skit being on a VHS tape I recorded from a syndicated SCTV episode aired by NBC in 1999, which I checked tonight. It's odd that music replacement issues mean that at least for that one skit, my off-the-air, six-year old VHS tape is more faithful to the original material than a brand-new, $90 DVD set.

7. Shaw

Shaw Stunt Coordinator

As for me, I managed to get a copy from the blockbuster in my neighboorhood. Just a short walk. I knew that the John Williams tribute would be massacred. I am also disappointed to learn about the cuts to Midnight Cowboy and others. Still, Shout seems to be doing a pretty good job of securing the rights to most of the music. What I am trying to understand is why everyone caved so easily in the face of the copyright owners. This stuff was on TV for ages and no one said boo and as far as I know, they weren't paying a cent. When something like this goes into court, it should be thrown out since those who own the rights never did anything about it before. I also think that there should be a limit on how much these copyright holders ask. Why should Led Zeppelin be allowed to ask for a higher amount than say ABBA?

Also, we as fans as the show recieve no warnings about what is cut and we have no explanantion as to why said musical bits are cut. We are after all, paying for the product?

I will never understand this kind of corporate greed. Look at Led Zep, they WERE the anti-establishment and now they ARE the establishment. Makes all of the stuff they recorded over the years seem rather pointless now.

threerandot

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

It doesn't quite work that way.

The original contracts were for broadcast TV so they didn't have to be renewed when the reruns were shown.

DVD didn't exist back then so they all have to be redone.

9. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Still, they should have written the contracts with more weight.

Once the music is in the sketch, it is part of the sketch and shouldn't be seperated no matter what the format it is shown on.

I still cringe everytime they play the Schmitz Gay beer commercial from SNL without Beautiful Girls by Van Halen.

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    "
    The original music is The Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin,'" which I know due to the skit"

what the deal with that song?

wasnt it cut from an ep of cheers too?

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, I was so bummed when I saw the "Cruisin Gourmet" without the Eagles background. I have half a mind to rip my personal copy (which I personally own) and mix in the proper sound using ancient vhs tapes I may have around.

12. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

Or you can just rip the Eagles CD itself for the music.

Yeah, I missed that cue on the DVD. "The bird is dead." "Duh-duh-duh".