What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Maude: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Joe Caps said:
Does anyone know why they changed Maudes grandson, Phillip, in midstream.

I loved Phillip number one and hated Phillip number Two.

The second Phillip shows up at the beginning of season 6. Once season 5 ends, we never see Phillip #1 again.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm currently making my way through the entire series of All In The Family (for at least the 5th or 6th time) and am once again reminded why this is probably my favorite comedy of all-time...much of the humor derives from the characters and not so much the actual lines as written. Don't get me wrong, many of the lines are very funny, but my favorite moments are the ones that come from some of the most mundane situations where it's all about the characters and how they react. That's what makes it a true classic, IMO.

Gordberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gordon
I'd hate to be a bother, but since there's an Amazon reviewer who claimed there aren't any Closed-Captions and in light of Shout Factory's recent problems in the matter (Kotter/All in the Family): would anyone please enlighten me - is this set CC-as stated on the box-or isn't it?

Real Name
Gerald
Gordberg said:
I'd hate to be a bother, but since there's an Amazon reviewer who claimed there aren't any Closed-Captions and in light of Shout Factory's recent problems in the matter (Kotter/All in the Family): would anyone please enlighten me - is this set CC-as stated on the box-or isn't it?

I still haven't received mine, so I don't know. That being said, according to SF's website and pictures I've seen of the back of the set it does include closed-captions. That being said, you're wrong about Kotter, it does include them.

Gordberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gordon
I should've been more specific about Kotter/AITF:

Both of those sets include CC/subtitles, yet there's a gap between the spoken line and the appearance of the proper subtitle.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
much info, but I still have the saqme question.

Why did they change the actor playing Maudes grandson?

BTW, there are no CC on Maude.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joe Caps said:
Why did they change the actor playing Maudes grandson?

I found this in a 1977 newspaper listing online:

HOLLYWOOD -- When "Maude" begins its sixth season on CBS this fall, the character of Philip, Maude's grandson, will be replaced by Kraig Metainger. Seems that Brian Morrison, now 15. literally out-grew his role.

But it's not very satisfying.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Joe Caps said:
BTW, there are no CC on Maude.
Why would the Maude release have no captions, when quite a few other full-series releases from Shout! (Barney Miller and The Bob Newhart Show, among others) did?

Gordberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gordon
That's just another form of false advertising, since the CC label can be clearly seen on the boxset.

Wrote about it to Shout! Factory and I hope to get a decent reply.

Gordberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gordon
And they've just responded-fast enough, I'll give 'em that-by saying:

"As you can see from the attached screen capture, our Maude set does indeed have closed captioning.

The captions do not appear to have a 2-second delay on this release. That issue may be a player/TV issue, though."

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I tried my Amaude set on four different setups I own and on my computer. No CC anywhere. Took it downtown to best Buy and tried on many setups there. Still no close captions. I have never had this trouble before.

Gordberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gordon
Here's the picture Shout! sent me as a proof. With the reports here, I really don't know what to say.

vlcsnap-2015-03-24-10h12m49s161.png

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Do you think it could be an issue with the way the DVR is hooked up to the TV?

I had the same problem once after I hooked up my DVR to my TV with the HDMI cable instead of the red white, and yellow cables.

I couldn't get subtitles. I had to adjust my settings in my DVR. Just a guess?

Gordberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gordon
Recieved my copy today and it does contain CC.

However-while somewhat diverting from the topic, yet relying on the Lear/Shout connection-my brand new copy of The Jeffersons' set is said to have CC at any review I've read, has the sign on the box and still has none.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Well, I've made my way through the entire set and am backtracking and watching some episodes again. I am curious to know which are your favorite episodes from each season. Here are mine:

S1: Maude Meets Florida

S2: The Tax Audit

S3: Vivian's Party

S4: Poor Albert

S5: The Game Show

S6: Maude's Guilt Trip

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm only a few episodes into Season 1 and this is funny, funny stuff. I forgot how great Bill Macy was in this series. A lot of the jokes went WAY over my head as a kid, but now I can really appreciate them.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I agree Macy was awesome and a great match for Bea to play off. Playing the straight man to Maude was a formidable challenge for any actor, but Bill was perfect for the role and so underrated. His timing, though not as razor-sharp as Bea's, was as good as it gets.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Il, say this. I have watched Maude on various cable outlets and I learned this: like a lot of sitcoms, it was looking tired near the end of its run.

The closing two episodes that moved Maude and Walter to DC was a very strong set up and could have given the show a few more solid seasons. But Bea was ready to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks