What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Earthquake Collector’s Edition (1974) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tut, tut, tut, language Tino.

ralphie_soap.jpg
You're right. Sorry.

I don’t give a fuck about the TV version!!:D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oh Tino, Tino, Tino .

Looks like Ron going to making a visit here soon.
Umm....I Don’t think so.

11. A site for adults. We assume that everyone here is an adult, and we expect everyone to act like it. This also means that we do not screen or remove content to prevent minors from being exposed to mature subject matter; that decision belongs to their parents or guardians. Nevertheless, we want HTF to remain professional in both tone and appearance. So please do not use profanity to excess, and please do not use any profanity (whether mild or harsh) in the TOPIC/SUBJECT header of a post or thread, because those may appear on the Main Forum Page or on other featured pages. Also, we strongly discourage any use of profanity directed against either another member or someone who may be reading this site (such as a studio executive or movie director). Remember: This is the internet. You never know who may be "listening".

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
That airplane landing on the cracking landing strip in the TV version was pretty bad. Wow they stretched that out for commercials and everything. Even my 12 year old self was saying—"this is getting pathetic."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I quickly saw the specs the other day and I could have sworn it said that the film will contain the original Sensurround track that many of you have been asking about.

If this is true, what exactly do you expect from that track? I mean, is it going to provide enough LFE signal to crack the plaster in your home?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
So, I quickly saw the specs the other day and I could have sworn it said that the film will contain the original Sensurround track that many of you have been asking about.

If this is true, what exactly do you expect from that track? I mean, is it going to provide enough LFE signal to crack the plaster in your home?
The thing is, there isn't a way for all but the most obsessive among us to truly recreate anything near the original Sensurround track in our homes, whether or not an enhanced track is included on the disc. The vast majority of people don't exactly have those ginourmous Cerwin Vega subwoofers installed that created bass so deep that you could feel it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The thing is, there isn't a way for all but the most obsessive among us to truly recreate anything near the original Sensurround track in our homes, whether or not an enhanced track is included on the disc. The vast majority of people don't exactly have those ginourmous Cerwin Vega subwoofers installed that created bass so deep that you could feel it.
I got a cool Sub that I can feel from my sofa:thumbs-up-smiley:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Hence my concern as to why this track is so important.

I mean, I have bass shakers beneath my recliners, but I still don't expect this sensurround track to do anything special. In fact, it seems like you have to give up the 5.1 surrounds for a basic stereo track with extra bass.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

I mean, I have bass shakers beneath my recliners, but I still don't expect this sensurround track to do anything special. In fact, it seems like you have to give up the 5.1 surrounds for a basic stereo track with extra bass.
I completely agree with you. Sensurround is a theatrical gimmick that truly only worked in a theater (and by most accounts, wasn't worth writing home about).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

One review:

In any case, the bass extension on Earthquake's soundtrack is certainly impressive for a film of this vintage and will make good use of whatever subwoofer you have in your system to intensify the film's major disaster sequences. Sonically, though, these sequences are still effective.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
One review:

In any case, the bass extension on Earthquake's soundtrack is certainly impressive for a film of this vintage and will make good use of whatever subwoofer you have in your system to intensify the film's major disaster sequences. Sonically, though, these sequences are still effective.
Link?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

You are going to need 2-3 top of the line SVS subs in each corner to even remotely come close to the original Sensurround experience of the 1970s. I remember my local theater having a sub the size of a restaurant refrigerator in the rear of the auditorium when I saw Rollercoaster.

GregK

Screenwriter

So true. And this in turns reflects a *big* part of each person's home Sensurround experience. I have four 18" Eminence speakers powered by a professional Crown amp. The house shakes with most Sensurround features, and it still isn't as powerful as what was heard in theaters.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No that’s it. It’s the tv version filmed for NBC sequences. They were terrible sequences.

It will be on this Blu Ray.

I always thought that sequence worked. Although I don’t recall whether the aircraft was attempting to land or take off.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
And don't forget that the most extreme bass wasn't on the print, it was synthesized by a device in the booth that read control tones on the print to generate the infrasonic waves.

There was a gentleman at Universal, who should get some kudos, as he was behind the process.

Waldon “Waddy” Watson, who among many other accomplishments, was behind the engineering for Sensurround.

He, fortunately, was with us in April of 1982, when we opened Napoleon at the Dome in 70mm 6-track, for which we had recorded very low frequency organ passages...

And a tiny twenty-five cent part went awry in the sound system, and Sensurround cut in.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I envy those of you concerned with the Sensurround bass on the Earthquake soundtrack being loud and rumbling enough for your home systems. My neighbors would either be pounding on my door or calling the police for disturbing the peace!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks