What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Earthquake Collector’s Edition (1974) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Skyscraper was a complete failure
In your opinion maybe it was. But it wasn’t financially. It made over $300 million world wide on a $125 million budget. It has likely turned a nice profit by now.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In your opinion maybe it was. But it wasn’t financially. It made over $300 million world wide on a $125 million budget. It has likely turned a nice profit by now.

If it needs 2.5X its budget to go into the black, "Skyscraper" wouldn't have made any profit.

It earned $304m WW and would need $312.5m to get to 2.5X its budget...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
We’re talking about the visual effects remember? Not opinions of the films. You stated CGI couldn’t be more realistic than practical model effects if used in those films. I disagreed and provided examples of CGI in disaster films implemented realistically.

Nothing in San Andreas was any bit believable on any level.

Your looking at $$$ your not looking at how the audiences and critics reacted to those films though.

Both San Andreas and Skyscraper have rotten ratings of 51% and 46% and both movies have been heavily scrutinized by the critics as well.

The Poseidon Adventure The Towering Inferno, and Earthquake were all box-office hits and critics and audiences's loved them. Now all three''s ratings and opinions about them have changed since they were first released, but all three of these films are still highly remembered 40 plus year later, something none of these new Disaster films will ever achieve.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Too often nowadays the giveaway that a special effect is fake is not that the CGI is poor, but rather that the "camera" angle/movement is so extreme as to be impossible to achieve with a real camera in a real world.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nothing in San Andreas was any bit believable on any level.

Your looking at $$$ your not looking at how the audiences and critics reacted to those films though.

Both San Andreas and Skyscraper have rotten ratings of 51% and 46% and both movies have been heavily scrutinized by the critics as well.

The Poseidon Adventure The Towering Inferno, and Earthquake were all box-office hits and critics and audiences's loved them. Now all three''s ratings and opinions about them have changed since they were first released, but all three of these films are still highly remembered 40 plus year later, something none of these new Disaster films will ever achieve.
Again....I’m talking about the visual effects. NOT your opinion of the films. :wacko:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If it needs 2.5X its budget to go into the black, "Skyscraper" wouldn't have made any profit.

It earned $304m WW and would need $312.5m to get to 2.5X its budget...
C’mon. I know that. It may actually be closer to $375 million to break even. But it’s not an exact science. I was responding to the comment that it was a “complete failure” which it wasn't. And I said by now it has likely turned a profit meaning ancillary sales.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Again....I’m talking about the visual effects. NOT your opinion of the films. :wacko:

Again, as I said NOTHING was believable in San Andreas. Every seismologist tore that film apart for its depiction of that fantasy quake and how seismologist were portrayed as well.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
74730218-5C31-442C-98EB-200A61C19935.jpeg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Again, as I said NOTHING was believable in San Andreas. Every seismologist tore that film apart for its depiction of that fantasy quake and how seismologist were portrayed as well.
Fine. That’s your opinion not fact. I thought the visual effects and CGI in San Andreas were excellent. And the film as a whole was very entertaining. Ditto for Skyscraper.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dude. Relax. :huh:

I’m not interested in this debate with you as you clearly don’t get what I’m saying. Carry on.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Even by today's standards of special effects, The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, and Earthquake are still more believable than what could be ever be done with CGI. Where Earthquake's models do show their age, it makes up for it in it's then record breaking number of 145 stunt people involved in a single film.

The models of both The Tower and the S.S. Poseidon haven't aged a bit in over 40 plus year. The Tower is at it's most realistic at night with the flames shooting out of several floors, makes you forget that it's a very tall model. With the S.S. Poseidon, again it's hard to tell that this is model in certain shoots. The capsizing scene will always be more realistic than what CGI can come up with.

John Williams's Disaster Trilogy scores are each good in their own ways.

With The Poseidon Adventure, from it's opening few notes it tells you all about the poor ship's fate and what's to come in the aftermath.

The Towering Inferno it's action and suspense from start to finish, sometimes at the very same moment.

And with Earthquake, it's okay; but I don't think it really need a score and it might of been better off like how The Birds (1963) was, just the use of natural sounds. An opening theme is fine, but after that just go with the sounds of the real world, especially after the earthquake strikes.
I was watching First Man and I thought the effects were very realistic. They used practical models and rear projection (via video wall) with gimbals that were synched to the rear projected images ... So i guess everything old is new again ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
2012 is another fun film I thought with great CGI earthquake effects. They also built some sets on gimbles to add realism.

The disaster scenes were ridiculously over the top tho. But fun. :P

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So you prefer non stop action from start to finish basically.

Those moments were they stop for a few minutes makes them more personal and human and we the audience are able to relate to these characters better.

:rolleyes:

No, I don't want action from start to finish.

I want good character development and exploration, which we don't get in "PA".

The movie should devote its pre-disaster time to those elements and do so well. "PA" leaves characters thin and sketchy.

Once the disaster hits, the movie should be largely action/disaster related.

Does it make sense to pause for long moments of introspection and sentiment when you're racing against the clock to survive?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
C’mon. I know that. It may actually be closer to $375 million to break even. But it’s not an exact science. I was responding to the comment that it was a “complete failure” which it wasn't. And I said by now it has likely turned a profit meaning ancillary sales.

There's a place between "complete failure" and "turning a nice profit"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks