What's new

Shout Factory just made a deal for the Cannell library (1 Viewer)

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
According to Deadline, Shout Factory now has the Cannell library of TV series, sadly it just looks like the same old releases. It just talks streaming and broadcast, but hoping it would include more. Was really hoping to see The Quest, and The Rousters finally get a release. Would be nice to have the episodes I’m missing. Would love to see Shout work out a deal to release TGAH with it’s cover tunes intact, and the 2nd & 3rd season teasers included (1st season teasers I assume were produced by ABC and voiced by Ernie Anderson) and a REAL blu ray release. My Japanese blu rays include all the original music, but are upscales.
Sad to see for whatever reason Hardcastle & McCormick is NOT included in the deal. Maybe someone else has picked up the license on it. Would love to see a Blu ray of it also. Mark & Milt’s bickering picked up whee Ralph & Bill’s left off...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Perhaps , At long last, Silk Stalkings will now get a DVD or Blu Ray re release that will be Non flippers

You must be one of the few individuals who really likes this show a lot.

I didn't watch it in its first run back in the day with estes + kapture. Though I did watch the syndicated reruns a lot on the usa network sometime in the late 1990s, and some of the then-new episodes with potter + gunn. It was one of the few shows I set my vhs machine to record every day whenever it was on. (I didn't do this for any other scripted show at the time).

If this type of show was on today, I probably wouldn't even watch it at all. I would have watched CSI Miami or the revived Hawaii Five-0 + Magnum PI instead.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You must be one of the few individuals who really likes this show a lot.

I didn't watch it in its first run back in the day with estes + kapture. Though I did watch the syndicated reruns a lot on the usa network sometime in the late 1990s, and some of the then-new episodes with potter + gunn. It was one of the few shows I set my vhs machine to record every day whenever it was on. (I didn't do this for any other scripted show at the time).

If this type of show was on today, I probably wouldn't even watch it at all. I would have watched CSI Miami or the revived Hawaii Five-0 + Magnum PI instead.

actually I got hooked on it as a teenager. I thought it was. Big deal because it was a rich society version of Miami Vice. Being from Florida I thought it was cool. Then I read the ending credits and it says San Diego Film commission. I was like oh ok.

I mean I knew the city and County of Palm Beach, Florida would never allow them to film on location. Until I saw San Diego in the credits, I thought they filmed in Miami-Fort Lauderdale.

At this point, I’m just trying to upgrade all of my library from Flip discs

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
actually I got hooked on it as a teenager. I thought it was. Big deal because it was a rich society version of Miami Vice. Being from Florida I thought it was cool. Then I read the ending credits and it says San Diego Film commission. I was like oh ok.

I mean I knew the city and County of Palm Beach, Florida would never allow them to film on location. Until I saw San Diego in the credits, I thought they filmed in Miami-Fort Lauderdale.

IIRC, I vaguely remember a few shots which showed a state of california flag. (I don't know enough of florida to be able to figure out whether it was filmed there or not. I know even less about San Diego).

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tweeted Shout Factory about this & they've confirmed that the deal only includes broadcast & streaming rights. :-(

Shout is pretty good with their physical media releases. so I'm disappointed if they are not going to do that

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Shout is pretty good with their physical media releases. so I'm disappointed if they are not going to do that

I, too, am disappointed.

However, is it possible that physical media rights are still with someone else and this is all they could get for the time being?

I dimly recall the Cannell library being licensed out to another company (maybe Mill Creek?) a few years back for DVD. Maybe that hasn't expired yet?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Cinedigm re-release The Greatest American Hero complete series dvd set in 2017.

Nothing since.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If not Cinedigm, otherwise currently unknown who the dvds were outsource to.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I tweeted Shout Factory about this & they've confirmed that the deal only includes broadcast & streaming rights. :-(

Perhaps this shouldn't be too surprising anymore.

ShoutFactory probably sees the "writing on the wall", and is preparing to transition away from dvd disc releases and move into potentially more lucrative media areas such as streaming, syndication, etc ....

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I asked Shout TV if the recent batch of American International war and juvenile delinquent movies were a possibility for DVD/Blu-ray releases. The rep said that their rights were for streaming only.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Hopefully Shout can fix WISEGUY, which needs the following issues corrected that plagued the DVD and previous digital releases:
  • Fix the Incorrect opening title sequences used for many episodes in seasons 2, 3, and 4
  • Restore the 2-hour episodes to full-length instead of 2 parts each
  • Release the episodes in HD
  • Restore the Dead Dog Records arc from season 2, with most music intact hopefully
  • Restore the music cut from Season 1 as well
Even if these corrections are done just for streaming and digital purchase, I’d be thrilled!

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
I agree about Wiseguy. In particular the season 1 music substitutions. The replaced music in “No one Gets Out Of Here Alive” sucks all the drama out of this superb episode.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
It might not be so much that Shout sees "writing on the wall" and perhaps they weren't offered the rights for a physical release.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
There were a number of shows which weren't offered to them and some of the later series that Cannell did he didn't have the rights to and they were with the studios he produced them in conjunction with.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There were a number of shows which weren't offered to them and some of the later series that Cannell did he didn't have the rights to and they were with the studios he produced them in conjunction with.

Later as in 1990 and beyond?

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
It's already set in news that Shout has acquired much of the Stephen J Cannell library of shows. I wrote to them about streaming "The Quest" on their Shout Factory TV streaming site and they say they haven't heard anything . I don't know what that means, considering they have a big article about it.

What is taking them so long to start airing the wares of the Cannell library? Their Shout Factory TV site now only has a limited amount of stodgy shows. When are they going to beef up the site and start streaming the Cannell shows? Tubi TV will also get some of the shows by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks