What's new

Shout factory doing great job (2 Viewers)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I have never seen Peyton Place but given the hype I would probably get it as a Blind Buy

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Peyton Place is one of only two 'soaps' that I would want to own and which I would spend money on to acquire. I would love to own the entire series one day. :emoji_thumbsup: The other is Dark Shadows, which I own on both VHS and DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes I have not bought any sony dvd set after they abandon NYPD blue and Zero sets from fox. As soon as Shout nukes your favorite series (ie rhoda , spin city simon and simon or wtf ) and Shout gives you a stream of constantly changing reasons why they cancel your series next year sometime you be here throw boos and freeway salutes to Shout too. Trust me you will burned by shout sooner rather than later.:thumbsdown:

TVAdam

Grip
Real Name
Adam

Besides the already mentioned "McHale's Navy", Shout has also released every season of "Punky Brewster." And a lot of other releases were complete series boxsets (for shows with one or two seasons) such as "Men Behaving Badly", "All-American Girl" and the Nintendo series "Captain N", "The Legend of Zelda" and the "Super Mario Bros" series.

It sucks about those they've abandoned (The Bill Cosby Show seems to be on that list), but I haven't given up on this company.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Here's the thing. I've been in this business for 10 years, and I can honestly say not all releases make money. Every company is going to have a point where they have to say "we can't do this". The goal of every company is to make enough money to stay open. It's not to give the fans everything they want until you eventually go out of business.

Big or small, the bottom line does matter. Now a smaller company like Shout! may not have the resources to keep something going as long as a major, although they likely also have a lower bottom line as to when they have to stop a series. The other advantage (for consumers) of a small company like Shout! is the people making the decisions are people that really care about these properties and are going to look at every possible option to try to keep things going - as opposed to a "bean counter" at a larger studio making the decision.

It sucks for the fans, but it also sucks for the studio. When they acquired the property they had numbers in mind that each season would sell, and their yearly projections are based on those numbers, so when something doesn't do what it was projected to, it throws everything out of wack. And you can keep trying to squeeze out unprofitable sets, but at that point you are really throwing good money after bad and really hurting your company.

I don't know if there is an answer. You can't make people buy things. Sure you could advertise more, but it's incredibly expensive. And unless it's a big hit, you are likely going to spend more for that advertising than you will make in additional sales. Net loss.

There really is only 1 reason series get dropped. Low sales. Blame companies for using syndicated episodes or replacing music, for authoring problems, for bad art, whatever, but don't blame them because not enough people bought their product.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Don't pay people like that any mind. The person who posted that rude response is a bootlegger that makes a living being a criminal on Ioffer. Sooner or later the FBI will catch up to him and throw him in prison for a few years.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Couple of other shows, some short-lived that I would like to see on DVD, probs some unlikely (most from NBC/Universal)

Committed (2005) starring Tammy Lynn Michaels and Darius McCrary
Complete Savages (2004) starring Keith Carradine and Erik Von Detten
Cursed (2000) starring Steven Weber and Paula Marshall
DAG (2000) starring David Alan Grier and Delta Burke
Hawaii (2004) starring Michael Biehn and Gina Phillips
Heist (2006) starring Dougray Scott and Brooke Smith
In the House (1995) starring LL Cool J
LAX (2004) starring Blair Underwood and Heather Locklear
M.Y.O.B. (2000) starring Amanda Detmer and Lauren Graham
The Men's Room (2004) starring John Cho and Kate Walsh (NBC/Universal)
Players (1997) starring Ice-T and Costas Mandylor
Raines (2007) starring Jeff Goldblum and Matt Craven
Sons & Daughters (2006) starring Dee Wallace and Desmond Harrington
Teachers (2006) starring Sarah Shahi (they should capitalise on her success in Life)
Three Sisters (2001) starring Dyan Cannon
Titans (2000) starring Casper Van Dien and Yasmin Bleeth
Tucker (2000) starring Seth Green and Eli Marienthal
Working (1997) starring Fred Savage and Maurice Godin

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
That Girl season 5 wil be out in May 2009. I'll give Shout credit. To the best of my knowledge they have released every season of That Girl uncut. If these shows run a good 25 minutes you can be sure...or pretty darn sure...they are complete.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
These guys are doing an EXCELLENT JOB!!
Mr. Belvedere, Rhoda & Simon & Simon.
I just hope they complete all seasons of them.
I would also like to see them pick up

T.J. Hooker
The Fall Guy
CHIPS
Charlie's Angels
Hart To Hart
WKRP
Hunter

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F

Shout's track record with not releasing entire series is no worse than any other company. (Sony- "All in the Family", "Maude", "One Day at a Time", etc; Fox - "Bob Newhart Show", "St. Elsewhere", "Hill St. Blues", etc.) It all comes down to how well a title is selling. I'm a huge SCTV fan, and was as disappointed as anyone that Shout stopped releasing more volumes. But the hard facts were that the sales of SCTV fell with each volume. As a result, retailers had little interest in putting new SCTV sets on their shelves. And despite what you think, Shout is not a non-profit organization. The only way they would go out of business would be if they take your advice and release all of Ironside and SCTV, and every other underselling title they haven't finished in order to please a relative handful of avid fans.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
I agree completely with potnoodle, and others on this board who have voiced this argument.

To think that a DVD company, heck - any company!, would deliberately withhold profitable releases from the market is crazy. I understand people like Ironside (I do too!) but to accuse Shout of any chicanery is ludicrous.

Plus, like potnoodle said, Shout is far from the only company with a record of dropping releases.

It all comes down to whether or not a product sells. MST3K sells very well, so we're getting more sets. Ironside didn't sell well. Simple as that.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Let's give a great big SHOUT! out to SHOUT!!!! I am looking forward to not only the beginning of Room 222 next month and the conclusion of That Girl in May...but also some of the other offerings from SHOUT! as well, such as musical DVD's and various other titles available for purchase.

Besides the first four seasons of That Girl, I also own the first season of The Bill Cosby Show, the complete series of All-American Girl and all of the Dick Cavett box sets as well--as a start!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Not a clunker in the bunch, IMHO!!!!!!

Keep 'em coming, SHOUT!!!!!! :D

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Since PEYTON PLACE was shot on 35mm film, they could do fresh transfers for BR...

Problem is - the cost and the fact that half the series is in B&W!

I personally would love to see the series out on DVD - As a classic TV Fan who NEVER saw it, I think it would be interesting to see this "continuing story" unfold.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman

Let me throw in my 2 pfennings' worth:

I was looking forward to Ironside coming out on DVD, and was disappointed when releases stalled after Season 2. That being said, the fact remains that the overall sales numbers didn't justify continuing the series. Shout! isn't in the DVD business as a public service; they're a company that has to make a profit to survive. To force them to continue to sell products at a loss (regardless of quality) is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

And let's not forget that a closed door is not always a locked door.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

I agree if more people who were waiting on further releases actually bought the first and second season now maybe Shout would take another look at it if sales improved, perhaps. Just a possibility

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F

It's more than a possibility, it's a fact. And the only fact that matters. So unless everyone that likes the show buys the released seasons, the chances of more seasons being released are as slim as seeing Old Ironside getting up and doing the funky chicken.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I plan on buying it but currently it costs over £18 so I would be liable for customs charges, thought about the volume sets but I can't see one for Season 2 Vol 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks