shouldn't CD audio be digital instead of "pcm"

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KyleCT, Jan 21, 2004.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

i play CD's through my DVD player, which has no problem playing DVD's in digital audio. However when i play a CD it comes through as PCM (analog). Do you have to enable the DVD player to play CD's digital like you had to enable the play of Dolby Digital?

2. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

PCM is digital

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jeff has it.

PCM is the name of the digital signal provided by CD players. Your reciever SHOULD say "PCM" when playing an audio CD.

Dolby Digital is the name of the digital signal provided by DVD players.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

FWIW, LPCM sounds better than Dolby Digital. DD is a lossy encoding scheme that enables multiple channels (more than 2) of audio info to be contained on a single disc. CDs encode only two channels, but at a higher resolution than DD encoding. This is why the sound quality of CDs is better (all other things being equal, of course... original recording, digital mastering, etc).

And this is also why LPCM tracks always should be used on mono/stereo DVDs, IMO, particularly music DVDs. They often are used for music format DVDs (and some movies), of course, but more often aren't.

The SACD and DVD-Audio formats allow multiple channels of audio information to be encoded on a SACD or DVD-Audio disc at an even higher sampling rate than CD's LPCM. For this reason, these are generally called "high-resolution" formats.

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

or 2 channels, or even 1 channel.

6. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

nevermind, i wasn't able to play cd's through my optical so figured it was analog. i must have changed an input somewhere. Now i get cd's through optical cable, and it sounds pretty good! sorry for my stupidity

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well, it depends on your CD player and your reciever if which one is better. Digital is not always the best...

If you have a very nice CD player with a good DAC, but a lower end reciever wtih a lower end DAC, using the analog outputs on the CD player would sound better than using the digital.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Except that LPCM takes up much more space than DD. I would agree that for music DVDs it makes sense, but for some TV show in stereo, the bit budget might be better spent on the video instead of the audio.

//Ken