Should you get a ticket for this?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveGon, Nov 7, 2003.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

My boss came in fuming today - seems his eldest son got a $95.00 ticket for, get this, leaving his keys in his car while it was parked in front of his house. WTF?

It seems the officer got out to inspect the car because it was parked close to a fire hydrant (but evidently not close enough to warrant a ticket). Granted, leaving your keys in your car isn't the brightest thing to do, but why the hell should you be ticketed for it? (The officer called it an "unattended vehicle.")

I could see the police not wanting to be bothered with tracking down a stolen car, but then again, if they have nothing better to do than to hand out tickets for "offenses" like this, maybe they could use a little excitement. [​IMG]

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

If it wasn't in the driveway then it was on a public street. It may be a ticky-tac ticket, but still legit. You can't just leave your car running but not attended to out on a public street.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

mike:

i'm not sure but it sounded to me like the guy just left his keys in his parked car without the engine running. that was my take on it.

kevin t

4. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

Not sure on the numbers but I believe 40-50% of stolen cars had the keys left in them. There has been a big crack down on this in the DFW area lately.

Greg

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

6. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Sounds like the cop needed something to do.

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Cops are a lot like robots. They're programmed to follow the letter of the law. Don't blame the cops, blame the law.

However, I can understand Steve's boss. The human element gives cops something called mood, which gives policing an entirely random nature as to when they decide to ticket or not. That's the part that pisses me off about them. Well that, and the cops at U.K. are practically fucking useless at hunting down criminals. This past week a female almost got assaulted behind the place where some of the faculty had lunch (can't remember the name of the place at the moment). She screamed for help and four guys came to the rescue. The man was chased all the way.....to the cops.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland

9. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Randy, I wasn't trying to disparage the police - it's just that being ticketed for leaving your keys in your car seems a bit extreme. But being that Troy isn't exactly a high-crime town, I suppose writing tickets is the primary source of activity for the police here. [​IMG]

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It sounds to me like dad's anger is misdirected. Son, WTF did you leave the keys in the ignition would be my question. After that son got the ticket, son pays for the ticket, end of story.

12. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's your car, you should be able to leave your keys in the ignition. I don't agree with the ticket, but the law is the law.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula Stunt Coordinator

15. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

16. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

How do we even know the car wasn't running? If the car wasn't running, then it was parked and thus, parked illegally. If the car was running, then it's not really parked, it's being left unattended.

In addition to the car being stolen, cars left unattended while running pose other problems like it accidentally getting knocked into gear and rolling away.

Besides, this happened in front of the son's house. If the car was turned off (parked) then why was it parked in an illegal location? Why didn't the son just park in his usual spot? It sounds to me he wanted to just run in the house real quick and didn't want to turn the car off. Thus it was still running and being left unattended.

17. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Ya, but when their car gets stolen, and the police have to spend their time and energy to find/return it. Us taxpayers have to pay for their stupidity. I can see why they have this law.

How far do you take that very dangerous logic? What's next? A ticket for leaving your car unlocked? For not having the Club installed? For not having an alarm? For parking in a high-crime area? I don't like the law punishing the (potential) victim. (Now if the father wants to punish the son for leaving the keys in, that's another story.)

Or how about a ticket for leaving your house door unlocked? Even if you're home, somebody could wander in & steal something without you knowing (say you're in the bathroom or the like).

If this ticket was really for leaving the keys in, it sounds like a revenue grab. Cops are well aware that car thieves don't need the keys to steal a car. I have a feeling the ticket was really for something like being too close to the hydrant.

I agree that if the ticket is paid, the son should be the one to pay.

> the law is the law

Slavery and a lot of other things used to be the law, too. [​IMG]

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

19. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Seems to me the cop could have simply tracked the license plate to the owner, found out that it belonged to the guy whose house it was parked in front of, gone to the door, knocked on it and said "I'm here to tell you that your car is parked with it's keys in the ignition. This is illegal. Perhaps you didn't know that, so I'll give you a warning now and let you know what might happen next time should you do it again." Cop sounds pretty anal to me.

20. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer