What's new

Should you be made to feel guilty... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I think you should feel guilty if you don't leave an appropriate tip.
Of course, what amount is appropriate is up to you. I'll start at the base "rate" of 15% and then go up or down a few dollars based on the service.
I used to wait tables at an Applebee's, so me "stiffing" a server is extremely unlikely...unless she makes fun of me or something.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Tipping shouldn't be an automatic gesture. Tipping is for adequate service, a way of saying a word of appreciation. If someone is inept at their job, do they also deserve a tip? An example: Last week, me and 5 freinds went out to Victorias for a noon lunch. The place was nearly empty. Our waiter, who had a bad case of mumblespeak, took 15 minutes just to take our order, brought us one basket of bread and we waited for our lunch for almost an hour. He screwed up four of the drinks, took another 10 minutes just to retrieve the check and besides taking our order and one basket of bread, only once came by our table to ask if we wanted anything. Once, in the hour that we had to wait for the food. Out of six guys, he got no tip from any of us. It's simple. If you give adequate service, I will give an adequate tip. Great service=great tip. Anything less than adequate=no tip.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Bruce.
It is absurd that it should be assumed that a waiter or waitress will automatically receive a tip of at least 15%.
It amazes me how often my wife and I get bad service. We go out to eat quite a bit. I would say 20% to 25% of the time the service is horrible. In those circumstances, I will usually leave a NOMINAL tip, just to let them know that I did not "forget" to leave a tip, rather I was making a statement that the service SUCKED!
If I get adequate service, I always tip 15%. If the service is above average and the waiter/waitress was friendly etc, I go to 20%.
By the way, have you ever noticed that your chance of getting good service is MUCH higher if you get a WAITER, instead of a WAITRESS? My wife pointed this out to me a couple of years ago. We pointed this out to several of our friends, and since keeping track, they completely agree that waiters are usually better than waitresses. Weird.
[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on November 02, 2001 at 07:26 PM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
If the waiter does a good job leave a decent tip
If the waiter does a bad job don't leave a tip
Regards,
Ricky

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
[rant on]
I literally bust my ass every day at work and nobody tips me. So in answer to the question at hand, NO. I wish employers would start paying what the job is worth so everyone wouldn't have to worry about who to tip, when to tip, and how much.
[rant off]
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Reservoir Dogs INDEED comes to mind, and quite frankly, if I get shit service, they get no tip. If they go out of their way to make me feel welcome, then they get a little extra. They have to EARN it though.
Jason
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I disagree with the "if the service is bad don't leave a tip". This may be misconstrued as YOU just being a cheap bastard by the server. I prefer to let them know the service was bad by leaving a single shiny penny as the tip.
TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.
If I felt the service was good then I am an overly generous tipper.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Richard,
If the server was incompetent or delivered bad service, I could give a damn that he thinks me cheap. He/She isn't getting a dime from me. Maybe if more people wouldn't worry about being construed as cheap and actually stiff the waiter, they might wake up and realize why they aren't getting any tips.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'm just a blue-collar working stiff and sorta identify with waitpeople, and I think they pick up on it. If I want something special, like a substitution of a menu item, I ask nicely rather than demanding, and try to treat the waitperson like I'd like to be treated. If there is a problem obviously not under the control of the server, I ask nicely for a correction and get it promptly.
I don't know if it's this attitude or just dumb luck, but I can't remember the last time I got bad service in a restaurant.
I know servers get more income if they sell alcoholic beveradges, and I don't drink, so I normally tip 20%, rounded to the next higher dollar. If by chance I did get poor service, I'd reduce the amount of the tip accordingly, but so far have not had to do so.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks