Should we buy Frasier's finale season b4 the rest get released

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rodrick, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

Already in our flyers at Great Canadian Superstore, Walmart, Safeway, A&B Sound, and Future Shop, they have a few new tvshow sets.

Frasier season 11 is out this week, and Im wondering if should pick it up b4 even season 4 is out.
    Also now I see Friends Season 8 and former sets all come packaged with the finale episode.
    Like why are they doing this?

Im picking up Cheers season 4 anyways.

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Paramount wanted season 11 on the shelf because it is fresh in everyone's mind having just happened.

I'm personally going to pick this up, as I think it makes more sense than to wait until the middle of 2006 to have the rest of the seasons be released before going back and picking this up.

However, a word of warning. If someone is getting in to this show via the DVD releases then if you pick up season 11 I wouldn't watch it until after you've gotten a few more if not the rest of the series because season 11 obviously tells you about some of the major character stories and where they've gone.

I have mixed feelings as to whether this strategy will be effective or not, we shall see.

3. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Rodrick, Casey, you have summed up my feelings to a tee. I could wish that they would wait until seasons 4-10 are out, but maybe this is some sort of test. [​IMG]

As I suggested to someone else, I am going to leave this on the shelf, unwatched, until 4-10 are available.

Weird, but it works for me! [​IMG]

4. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Well being somewhat on a tight budget, I'm going to grab this now while it's still on sale. In other words........while I can get it $20 below suggested retail price. Right now, seasons 1, 2 & 3 are around $65 Canadian at the stores I've seen them at. If I wait, it'll be the same deal with this one. Take "Cheers" for example. I've been wanting for some time to start collecting that series. But to this day, I have not been able to find seasons 1 & 2 for under $65.

I have no problem getting season 11 now, because Paramount has assured us that the rest of the seasons will follow, rather promptly in fact. With seasons 4, 5, 6 & 7 all being released next year. It's not going to be a long wait to have the whole collection. So why not pick it up now? Get it while it's cheap. Makes sense to me anyway.

5. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

Yes Correct. Frasier series and Kelsey himself won so many Emmys for this show as the best Comedy. And it is. Cheers follows right behind.

6. Burn Rourk

Burn Rourk Agent

"Paramount wanted season 11 on the shelf because it is fresh in everyone's mind having just happened."

And this is exactly why I wouldn't have released it so soon. As they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder. I don't feel the need to buy something I've seen so recently. I thought it was funny when they released the Friends Series Finale on DVD one week after it aired on TV. I guess that was handy if you missed it. I think they should just keep trucking along, releasing sets in sequential order.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

By this logic, studios should go back to waiting six months to release a movie for rental, and then another six to eight months before the sell-through video comes out. Paramount isn't looking to schedule the release for when the audience might have a greater appreciation, but for when it is most present in their mind and thus likely to sell better - and the market tends to show that this sort of release works.

8. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

I have started to watch season 11 nevertheless that I have seen only season 1-3. I'm actually greatly enjoying it. I thought people said that the later seasons are not as good. But it's real funny. Especially I find Niles' new stable situation, making Frasier's unstable situation funnier.

9. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Same here. I missed the first two seasons, but became an avid viewer sometime during the third season. For those preferring to shop at B&M outlets (as I do), it may become more difficult to secure copies of earlier releases as time passes (I haven't had much luck online with box sets; in my experience, the paperboard packages tend to be more susceptible to damage, regardless of the shipper and/or shipping package used). By the time Season 10 rolls around in 2005, it may be a challenge to find Season 11 locally.

I'm not bothered by the early release of Season 11 today (heck, I picked it up this morning before heading to work [​IMG] ). It was one of the more enjoyable seasons in recent memory, due in large part to Laura Linney's recurring role as Frasier's love interest.