Should Video Interconnects Run Through Onkyo TX-SR700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdL, Jun 13, 2002.

1. EdL

EdL Auditioning

In need of HT Experts. I finally received my TX-SR700 yesterday and I'm wondering what advantage is gained by running component video for DVD,
    S-Video for cable & VCR through the receiver. Right now I have everything running directly to my Mits-55807. Will there be any improvement or degradation in the video quality? As I see it I either way, I will still have to select the input source on the TV & receiver. Not to mention buying 3 additional sets of expensive interconnects.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The only advantage is that when you select a source, the appropriate video source is selected also, thus "video switching". IMO, there is no benefit at all if your TV has sufficient inputs for your video soruces to go directly to it.

3. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

You might have a video compatability problem. Can your receiver take s-video in and output component? Probably not. Let the TV do it.

4. EdL

EdL Auditioning

I have more than enough video inputs on the TV to handle everything I have and then some. The receiver can convert composite video to S-Video, but I don't need the function - both my VCR & cable use S-Video. The advantage seems to exist only when you have a limited number of inputs on the TV?

5. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

The advantage is you don't need to change both tv input and receiver input. No big deal for a macro enabled remote and equipment that can handle descrete operations.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You CAN do both:

- Run SVideo from everything to the receiver, then to the TV.

- Run Component directly from the DVD player to the TV for the slightly better picture.

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ed, there's no advantage except in the situation where you have more outputs than your tv has inputs. By running it through your receiver, you'll just be introducing another set of connections that will complicate debugging problems or introduce problems of its own.

cheers,

--tom

8. EdL

EdL Auditioning

Thanks guys. I'll keep my current direct connections and $$ in my pockets.