What's new

Should TV shows be in widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
We all grow up on TV shows appearing on 4:3, but is it a good thing to have all TV programming in widescreen? Certain programs like "ER" are in widescreen, but should sitcoms, cartoons, made-for-television movies, etc. be in widescreen? If TV programs are in widescreen, what aspect ratio should be in: 1.85:1 (Academy Flat), 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Scope), or other lesser known format?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
16:9 is the future of TV, so it makes sense to start having as much material as possible made in 16:9. Sitcoms & cartoons are frequently syndicated for years, and this will be important down the road.

I don't see why any material that isn't theatrically shown needs to be made using film ratios.

BTW, Kudos to ER and the rest - maybe with so many popular shows being letterboxed people will get used to it and stop complaining about the black bars on movies already.

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'm all for 16:9, as I believe this is the industry's agreed-upon standard for HDTV.

-Ross

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This is sort of like asking whether all movies should be 1.85 or 2.35. The director and DP should decide what shape is best for the show.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The fact that TV will be in wide screen (and that I have a brand-new 16:9 Sony) has nothing to do with whether TV shows should be in wide screen. I don’t really think that sitcoms or game shows to cite only two examples, gain anything particular from wide screen.

Sports are a prime example of something that really gains from wide screen. When I first saw cricket in wide screen it was almost enough to get me to go buy a set right before I returned to the States (and it would be useless).

I wish more TV shows were in HD. Whether TV shows will benefit from also being in wide screen is questionable. But since I have a wide screen set (mostly for movies) my emotional position is: [rant]That all TV regardless of type of programming should immediately be both wide screen and HD.[/rant]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that dramas and made for TV movies SHOULD be in widescreen, simply because it adds to the effect of them. I don't know why, but I enjoy ER a lot more in widescreen than 4:3 because it feels more professional, serious, and like they give a damn about what they're putting on TV. Sitcoms, animated shows, and a lot of other things on TV wouldn't benefit as much, but there are some things that they should do it with.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I think it all should. I watch the following in Widescreen

ER
Farscape
Stargate
Enterprise

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Give me 16 x 9, or give me death!
We should amend the Bill of Rights to guarantee HDTV programming for EVERY citizen.
The federal government should give us tax breaks to help pay for our Hi-Def RPTV's!
Sorry... I got carried away... :)
Pete

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why, but I enjoy ER a lot more in widescreen than 4:3 because it feels more professional, serious, and like they give a damn about what they're putting on TV.
So they good men and women who've devoted their careers to 4x3 programing don't give a damn about what they're putting on TV? An aspect ratio is just that, a choice of framing. It should be preserved whenever possible. That said, I don't get this "Widescreen is sexier" thing that some people have.

Personally, I could care less if TV shows were 1.33:1 or 1.78:1... but make up you mind and stick with it. None of this framing for 4x3 but shooting for 16x9 business that results in funky framing in the 16x9 versions (see: first season of Sopranos on DVD.)

Esten

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the USA original series like Monk,The Dead Zone and etc. are filmed for 1.78:1?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Given that many of us have paid serious cash for HDTVs, all current and future programming should be High Definition, 16x9.
Given that many more of us have paid cash for TVs that aren't widescreen, surely all current & future programming should be 4:3?

I don't honestly believe that BTW - I just feel saying "I've bought a HDTV so everything should change to suit me" isn't a good argument. The argument that the longterm /standard/ is for all TVs to be 16:9 is a much better argument as far as I'm concerned.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Hell YEAH, I'm looking forward for more programming to be widescreen. I'd think it would be cool if Simpsons, King of the Hill, Jerry Springer, South Park, and any other of my modern TV shows were presented in Widescreen. 2.35 or 1.85. I like 2.35:1. Gives even WIDER view.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I noticed a show on WB called Angel is in a 16x9 widescreen format. My mom watches that show and doesn't seem bothered about those black bars. She bought Hell Comes to Frogtown on 1.85:1 Widescreen VHS off ebay a while back. I guess it's 2.35:1 movies and wider that bug her. So, shows in Widescreen in 16x9 don't seem to bug a lot of people as much as 2.35:1. Yeah, shows should start going to widescreen. Widescreen is the future and nobody is gonna stop it.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Just about all Prime time shows for the last couple of years have been produced widescreen and framed for 4.3..Producers learned their lesson back in the 60's when they found out most(not all) black and white shows had very little syndication value..

Paul P

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Little did they know that now tv shows are reselling in a big way.

If I remember right, widescreen was developed by filmmakers to simulate the actual way we see-- with out 180 degree visual range, versus the tiny little box. Is this appropriate for television? I believe it is, because it enhances the immersion of the entertainment experience. Now maybe that shouldn't be a part of tv, but I think it should. At least good tv, like ER, angel, etc. However, something strange to think about is commercials in widescreen, which is an almost inevitable fate, if all tv turns in that direction, commercials will have to be shot for widescreen as well. I don't know if I want to be immersed in that experience.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
When HDTV really kicks in, I would image most TV shows will be shot and broadcast in a 1:78 to 1 ratio which fits a 16X9 set. Makes sense.

However, with the older shows shot in 4X3, they should be broadcast that way with black or grey on the sides. Those who want to crop or stretch to fill their screen can do so with their remote. I do not want the studios or TV stations to FORCE me to watch tilt and scanned or cropped 4X3 shows in fake widescreen.

OAR. it's that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks