Should this be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid K, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

I have had my new surround sound setup for about a week but I noticed while playing some metal gear solid the majority of the sound is coming through the center channel. I always thought just voices came through there, and was wondering if this is what it should be doing and if not what can I do to change it?

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

What DSP mode are you using? If you are using Proligoc, most of the info will probably come from the center chanel.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Play with the DSP modes. I had similar experiences with my daughter's PS1 and karaoke machine hooked up via the front in jacks on my receiver. Eventually, I found a mode that I was pleased with but this was some time ago and I don't remember which I prefered. I think it was all stereo mode which makes sense.

4. Joe Ferreira

Joe Ferreira Stunt Coordinator

What output are you using? I think the PS2 has some kind of digital out, but even if you are using that, is the produced in 5.1 DD?

5. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

You need to get Metal Gear for the XBOX ...

PS2 does not output in game DD5.1

All home theater buffs who are gamers should have the XBOX as their console of choice.

6. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Even if you are using the proper mode/format, the sound might not be mixed/arranged well from the source. The Babylon 5 first season DVDs annoy me for the same reason - almost everything comes from the center even when it would be appropriate to leverage the R/L channels.

7. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Iam using metal gear solid for xbox. I also bought the high definition pack and a optical cable so that is all right. And right now the reciever is on DD enhanced.

8. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

Hmm ... ok I don't have that particular game yet ... How do Halo and MOH Frontline sound?

You should get very detailed 5.1 surround from either of those two ...

9. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

If you want to get the best 5.1 DD game ever pick up a copy of Tom Clancy's "Ghost Recon". It's so detail when you play online you can hear people trying to sneak up on you. When a sniper takes a shot you can turn that direction and find him it's amazing. You haven't experienced DD 5.1 until you have experienced DD 5.1 real time. IMO it even beats the best movie sound tracks.