What's new

Should the term Full Screen be changed? (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Of course this idiotic and erroneous term needs to be dumped. As the discussion above shows, this is much too complicated an issue for the uninitiated to understand or even to try to understand.

I think the clearest labelling uses the outline of the 16:9 and 4:3 screen to show how the image will look on each type of TV. BUT, I also think the 4:3 version should indicate how much picture has been cut off the sides to fill the screen top-to-bottom. The same principle would apply to open-matte transfers to indicate how much extraneous image had been added at the top and bottom. They could be labelled "deleted" and "fill" respectively. Of course, 16:9 images opened up from 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 should also be properly indicated.

Of course, this wouldn't help for labelling the front of the package. In any case, "fullscreen" is a false and misleading term.

Oh, well...another pipedream.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would like to see Banners that say

Original Theatrical Presentation
Modified THeatrical Presentation.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
How about:
Cinematic Presentation
(This is the original uncut version)
Airline Presentation
(This version has been cut for small, legacy TVs)
:)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Here's what they should do: they should show two versions of a screenshot on the back, showing how it will look on a 4:3 and how it will look on a 16:9. The fullscreen version will show a 4:3 screenshot where it fills the screen, and the same screenshot at 16:9 with gray (or black) bars on the sides. On widescreen releases, they should show how it will look on a 4:3 (2.35:1 having large black bars, 1.85:1 having small) and how it will look on a 16:9 (2.35:1 small black bars, 1.85:1 none).

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I could be way off on this but how many people out there who are not familiar with the real benefits of widescreen would even know what "aspect ratio" means?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks