What's new

Should the term Full Screen be changed? (1 Viewer)

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I recently bought a DVD that said it was widescreen and that there would be black bars at the top and bottom of my screen which would be normal.

Anyway, it was shot on HDCAM (1.78:1) and I didn't get any black bars as promised (on my 16x9 TV). I think I should take it back and demand my black bars.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Use Widescreen, OAR, or Original Aspect Ratio for OAR. Use Pan and Scan, MAR, Modified Aspect Ratio, fool screen, J6P screen ;), or chop screen for MAR. :D

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm for truescreen and cutscreen as well. Truescreen is especially necessary for the future.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm for truescreen and cutscreen as well. Truescreen is especially necessary for the future.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Clinton, your post cracked me up! Yours & Matt Hankinson’s posts inspired me to make an e-mail to send to my friends.
Since the people I sent it to forward their jokes to dozens of other people, maybe it will start a chain reaction.
I borrowed from Clinton & Matt Hankinson’s posts to make the following e-mail:
SUBJECT: How Full Screen and Widescreen DVDs should be labeled.
Widescreen:
Widescreen Version. Presented as it appeared in the theater. Because your TV is probably not the same shape as the theater screen, the film on this DVD may contain black borders on the top & bottom, or sides, of your screen, whether you have a 4:3 or 16:9 display. The image on-screen faithfully represents the composition of the film's director and cinematographer. No portion of this film has been cropped, scanned or altered to fit your screen. The black bars ensure you are viewing the film in its original, intended form as it appeared in the theater. Enjoy!
Full Screen:
Full Screen Version. Chopped-up Pan & Scan version, modified to fit a 4:3 TV screen because you don't give a damn about the film you are about to see since you are willing to sacrifice over a third of the picture. Since you obviously do not care about the film if you are willing to watch a butchered version, we have removed all dialogue and replaced it with the soothing sound of jabbering squirrels and a treefrog. The picture has also conveniently been replaced with a dancing bear because our market research indicated you would rather watch a dancing bear than a correctly composed Original Aspect Ratio version of the film. Have a 6-pack and enjoy!

Jay Taylor

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
This should be the standard disclaimer on the back of the keepcase:
Side A - Widescreen version (2.35:1) preserving the correct theatrical aspect ratio of the film
Side B - Chopped-up Pan & Scan version, modified to fit a 4:3 TV screen because you don't give a damn about the film you are about to see since you are willing to sacrifice over a third of the picture. Since you obviously do not care about the film if you are willing to watch a butchered version, we have removed all dialogue and replaced it with the soothing sound of jabbering squirrels and a treefrog. The picture has also conviently been replaced with a dancing bear because our market research indicated you would rather watch a dancing bear than a correctly-composed Original Aspect Ratio version of the film. Have a 6-pack and enjoy!
Wait a minute, are you telling me that us OAR people are not allowed to have a 6-pack with out 2.35:1 movies? :)
Actually, my problem with most of these suggestions is they just don't accurately describe the product. Afterall, open matte is not CUTSCREEN, it's TOO-MUCH-SCREEN.
The only truly accurate way would be to use the aspect ratio. Or how about the following:
Classic Fullscreen (for 1.33:1 OAR)
Wrong Screen (for non-OAR)
Right Screen (for OAR widescreen)
:D

Andrew B

Agent
OK I might as well chime in, Pan & Scan movies drive me nuts, I can't watch a Pan & Scan movie on TV. I think the best way to get across the point of the difference between Widescreen and Pan & Scan would be to put bright orange stickers on or labels on the front of all Pan & Scan DVD releases that says "Now With 45% Less Video". It would hopefully put the seeds of doubt in the minds of J6P, or at least get them to question the difference between Widescreen and P&S. Or I guess you could always just call all the P&S releases Hack and Chop...

Andrew

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Actually I think they got the pronunciation correct; I think they just misspelled it:
Fool-Screen.
:D
[edit]Damn, Tony-B, ya beat me to it![/edit]

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Fullscreen is the simplest and most understood (on both sides) name for a 1.33:1 presentation of a widescreen (matted or true wide) film.

Pan & Scan would be fine for widescreen afficiandos like myself, but those who just won't buy widescreen won't understand the term.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I think it should be changed to what it is.
When it's pan & scan then it should be some thing like Pan & Scan Version
when it's open-matte then it should be something like Open-Matte Version
and so on.
but this would probably be too confusing for the general public so it'll never happen. :frowning:

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
How about these labelings...

>Academy Ratio
>Academy Ratio - Enhanced for 16:9 Displays
>4:3 Open-Matte/4:3 Pan and Scan - Altered for "Standard Televisions"
>Letterbox - "Standard Televisions"
>Letterbox - "Widescreen Televisions"
>16:9 Open-Matte/16:9 Pan & Scan - Altered for "Widescreen Televisions"
>Anamorphic Widescreen - Enhanced for 16:9 Displays

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
How about changing it to the "you are gonna be struck version"
This film has been modified to fit the screen you have NOW, but lo and behold when you get a widescreen tv, there will be bars on the sides, therefore you will need to by the version widescreen advocates told you about (you thought you were actually missing picture by getting that version) so now you need to spend more money if you want to see it "fullscreen"... :D

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Of course "fullscreen" is misleading: they do it on purpose. I was just reading something in PC Magazine about how the USB guys have decided to rename the lower-speed USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 "Full Speed" to differentiate it from the faster USB 2.0 "Hi-Speed".
The marketeers that insist on using "full" seem to be full of something else.
//Ken

There's no reason it should have to stay that way though. The studios have no interest in perpetuating the "fullscreen myth" now that DVDs can provide widescreen in high quality. It just costs them more money to have to cater to the ignorant by having two versions. They should want customers to realize that widescreen is the way to go, as it will save them money. I guess they just haven't figured that out yet :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks