Should the Harry Potter movies taken a cue from the Lord of the Rings??....

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Jun 14, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I have been hearing from a lot of people how much of the story from the Prisoner of Azkaban was missing from the movie. And this is only going to get worse as the next movies are based on larger books. Now, you would figure that since these movies are cash-cows that they would make two movies out of each book. But, that probably isn't going to happen. So I suggest they do what New Line has done with the Lord of the Ring movies. Release the movies in the theaters at it's normal length(2 1/2 hrs.) But, then release a special edition of the movie on dvd, with extended footage that most fans who have read the book may want to see.

2. Adam W

Adam W Stunt Coordinator

In thedigitalbits rumor mill today apprently someone let it slip that the first movie will be coming out eventually as an extended edition. I bet we hear more about this as Prisoner of Azkaban nears it's eventual DVD release to tie them in together.

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    If it's the same thing as the extended version that aired on ABC about a month or so ago, it won't be worth it. I'd definitely buy it for some more comprehensive extras though. [​IMG]

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

or extras you can actually get to.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Good thought, but at least with "Azkaban," they said most of the cuts were done at script level, so there is no "extra" footage to add back in for an Extended Edition. It was never filmed.

And as Ray said, if the Extended Edition of HP:SS is simply the deleted scenes that were on the original DVD added back in, as was broadcast on ABC, I'll pass.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Good thought, but at least with "Azkaban," they said most of the cuts were done at script level, so there is no "extra" footage to add back in for an Extended Edition. It was never filmed.

And as Ray said, if the Extended Edition of HP:SS is simply the deleted scenes that were on the original DVD added back in, as was broadcast on ABC, I'll pass.

7. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

I lost interest in the Harry Potter films after getting the first one on DVD. After seeing the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on DVD I lost complete interest in the Potter films.

Harry Potter films are targeted more to the children, while the Lord of the Rings trilogy is more aimed at the older film goer. Being an adult I prefer the Lord of the Rings over Harry Potter.

8. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

I lost interest in the Harry Potter films after getting the first one on DVD. After seeing the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on DVD I lost complete interest in the Potter films.

Harry Potter films are targeted more to the children, while the Lord of the Rings trilogy is more aimed at the older film goer. Being an adult I prefer the Lord of the Rings over Harry Potter.

9. Billy C.

Billy C. Agent

Have you lost interest in every film that doesn't measure up to LOTR?

10. Billy C.

Billy C. Agent

Have you lost interest in every film that doesn't measure up to LOTR?

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'll disagree with this. The first two movies, at least, are aimed at fans of the book. Fans of the books span a wide variety of ages.

If the Harry Potter films were just "children" films, it probably wouldn't have interested me, but there is enough inteligence there for an adult to enjoy the films.

I guess the full way to appriciate Harry Potter is to actually read the books (same goes with LotR, btw.) There is much more detail that the movies sometimes lose in the translation. That's something that I don't think doing things LotR style will solve, because LotR is missing some of that detail as well.

Jason

12. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'll disagree with this. The first two movies, at least, are aimed at fans of the book. Fans of the books span a wide variety of ages.

If the Harry Potter films were just "children" films, it probably wouldn't have interested me, but there is enough inteligence there for an adult to enjoy the films.

I guess the full way to appriciate Harry Potter is to actually read the books (same goes with LotR, btw.) There is much more detail that the movies sometimes lose in the translation. That's something that I don't think doing things LotR style will solve, because LotR is missing some of that detail as well.

Jason

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Not a big HP person here, but a fan of fantasy books. I felt the same way as you about the first movie. Very kiddie and a bit dull. But I have actually liked the 2nd and 3rd ones quite a bit more than the first one (my wife is a HP fan). If you like fantasy, you should at least rent them. Much better than the first, IMO.

14. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Not a big HP person here, but a fan of fantasy books. I felt the same way as you about the first movie. Very kiddie and a bit dull. But I have actually liked the 2nd and 3rd ones quite a bit more than the first one (my wife is a HP fan). If you like fantasy, you should at least rent them. Much better than the first, IMO.

15. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

This is my point. They are filming Goblet now. Which if you seen the books is like twice the length of the first two. So they should plan ahead and film those scenes and then cut what they need for the theatrical release and then re-edit them in for the Special Edition.

16. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

This is my point. They are filming Goblet now. Which if you seen the books is like twice the length of the first two. So they should plan ahead and film those scenes and then cut what they need for the theatrical release and then re-edit them in for the Special Edition.

17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I really wished they could have implemented this from the start. Everything I heard about POA was that is the best Potter film yet. I was horribly disappointed. The movie's cinematography was leaps and bounds better than the first two films, but the story felt jerky and disjointed. The only scene that really felt 'alive' to me was the Werewolf transformation. Where the first two films focused more on the story, this film really focused on the kids and I felt cheated.

18. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I really wished they could have implemented this from the start. Everything I heard about POA was that is the best Potter film yet. I was horribly disappointed. The movie's cinematography was leaps and bounds better than the first two films, but the story felt jerky and disjointed. The only scene that really felt 'alive' to me was the Werewolf transformation. Where the first two films focused more on the story, this film really focused on the kids and I felt cheated.

19. Travis_S

Travis_S Supporting Actor

Travis

And that was one reason I thought POA was a huge improvement over the previous Harry Potter movies.

20. Travis_S

Travis_S Supporting Actor

Travis

And that was one reason I thought POA was a huge improvement over the previous Harry Potter movies.