Should sub fire up or down?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris frazier, Jan 30, 2001.

1. chris frazier

chris frazier Auditioning

Hey guys, hope you can answer my question. I'm about to start on building a traditional type sub. I have a JL 15w4 w/ dual 4ohm voice coils and a 200 watt amp to drive it. I cant decide whether to fire the sub towards the floor or front firing. It will be in a corner on a carpeted floor.
    Also, I'm having a delima on sealed or ported. I think that the SPL will be plenty either way, but I would like music to sound nice and tight. I have a ported box now with a 12" sub(same amp), and It's kinda boomy.
    Thanks for any replies! Chris

2. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I do not know the specs for your driver, but some are not suited for mounting horizontal( the NHT 1259 for one). Check with JBL and let me add that all ported systems are not the same. It is not nearly as easy as building a sealed box but a ported system can be very musical also.

3. Eric S

Eric S Agent

On the Adire Audio web site, there is a white paper that discussed how to determine if your particular drive is appropriate for horizontal mounting. Its a series of calculations to perform with the driver's T/S parameters.