What's new

Should studios release more shows that aren't in syndication?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if studios should release more shows that are not in wide syndication. The reason being that if fans want to see the show they are going to have to buy it. I mean I know their are plenty of shows that are released on dvd that are everywhere on tv, yet do well on dvd. ie-MASH and Trek.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, the question is, if there's enough audience for a show to be a success on DVD, why isn't it having more success in terms of third-run sales? Unless the show in question is a short-run series that would much be more appealing to collectors that broadcasters, I'd imagine one is a pretty good indicator of the other.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think dvd is a perfect avenue to make money for short run shows. They usually have enough of a fan base to sell. Yet, there are not enough episodes to make syndication possible.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I think what needs to happen is for an independent or two to pop up. In the music world, there are tons of artists who are not popular enough for the major labels to bother with. There are however, companies like Taragon, Sundazed and Collectibles, which license from the majors for a small guarantee and then put them out. These sell in the lower thousands, amounts that the majors would never bother with. What we need are a few companies to pop up like that in the DVD world. There are many short run shows, like Coronet Blue, Way Out, etc. that would do well for a company not looking to sell 25,000 copies.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

I think there are already independents. Thing is, if a company is too small, they cannot afford to produce a dvd. Rightsholders, whether they're big studios or small companies, are not, in my experience, willing to license their properties for nothing but a small guarantee -- they require an advance. Could be tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or into the million dollar range. So say the independent makes it past the contract phase with their shirt intact. They've still got to author the discs, create the packaging design, get the packaging printed and the discs replicated, market it to the buyers, and to the public at large. If they're small, they'll have to outsource the work, so there go more tens of thousands to the authoring house, to graphic designers, to the packaging vendors, to a PR mailing, to print advertising. And, if they're small, and producing small quantities, they're not going to get much of a price break from anyone, so they won't be able to price their sets competitively.

I agree that more of the lost & lamented one-season-wonders need to make it to dvd. I would love to have Strange Luck, Brimstone, Dead Last, and others (like John Doe if it kept the original music intact) added to my collection. But I can understand why a company would be hesitant to invest so much time and money into something that's an all-or-nothing proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks