Should Sony have waited?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nick Graham, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

With the news of the massive PS3 supply shortage, primarily due to blue-laser diodes, the criticism of shoddy rushed Blu-Ray launch titles, and the price premium of the Sammy player compared to the Toshiba HD-DVD player, do you think Sony should have hoarded all the blue-laser diodes, kept the software in the oven for a little longer, and made November 17th the official launch date of the format, and the PS3 the first player released?

Granted it might not have made a huge difference in the number of PS3s on the shelf come mindight on the 16th, but even a couple hundred thousand more PS3s would be good news. Another 2-3 months might have produced better authoring and perhaps the use of differnet codecs) on the launch titles, and would have allowed for a more varied launch list of titles (including the Warner and Fox ones). And there's the fact that a $600 Blu-Ray player (that can play next gen games, no less) is a lot more attractive than a $1000 Samsung. I realize they were desperate to get Blu-Ray out as close to HD-DVDs launch as they could, but it's really striking me as a forest for the trees move at this point. In a market with so few actual customers (in the scheme of things), waiting a couple of months wasn't going to cost anyone the war.

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Blu-ray players/software I would agree. Just too soon. Same goes for HD DVD.

PS3, no I think they need to get it out there in November. Am I disappointed in the numbers? Hell yah considering how far off they are from that 2m number that was originally projected. But they need the console out and in consumers hands this year. Delaying the European launch seems to be the only smart thing Sony has done recently. Just imagine if they tried to spread the available PS3's across that region as well. It would be a complete nightmare. Now it is just a repeat of last years Xbox 360 release which could be considered a bad dream. [​IMG] But it got out, and slowly but surely inventory was being filled. I expect the same from the PS3.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that releasing a game machine as the first BD player would have alienated the studios that had signed up to be BD only. It remains to be seen if those who will actually purchase movies will make the PS3 their choice, or if they will wait for more expensive (and presumably, better) players.

Don't forget that the content providers are going to be very instrumental in which formats survive and it would be a mistake to not serve their wishes.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Lew, I see where you are coming from. It's a double-edged sword....some early adopters look at game consoles with disdain (which I've never understood: people who burn thousands of dollars in movies, some of which they never watch or even like looking at video games as childish and wasteful). Those folks are gonna want high-end standalone players. At the same time, the thing that will cause Blu-Ray to win the war if ti indeed does is the mass penentration of PS3s....a lot of the stuidos I think even concede that point.

The one good thing about this war...if there was only one format, you can be sure you'd pay $1000 minimum for a player. Thanks to these guys being at each other's throats, once the $200 Xbox 360 drive is out, you'll be able to have players for both formats for the same price or just $100 over. I never imagined I'd ever fit into the category of early adopter, but once that Xbox drive hits, it will be hard to pass up spending a mere $200 to have the latest and greatest. And as a gamer, if I had the $600 to spend, and there were actually some available, I'd likely be a sad sheep and be all over the PS3 on launch day.

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'm not a game person so I can't speak about that, but I agree with Jason's opening comment. Both camps should have come out with all the bells and whistles. Toshiba had 3 firmware releases to address it's problems and understanding some of the threads here, the Toshiba is one exceptional player. Sony however, should have held everything back completely (including Software) until all the problems and issues were fixed. Toshiba granted would have a head start and currently has one, but if Sony came out with the 50gig dual layer disc encoded with VC1 or Mpeg 4 for the best picture, full Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master etc., and finally with the studios releasing movies like Disney's Cars, and other great titles, I think the taste of delay felt by early adopters would have been short live with the perfect release into the market by Sony. IMHO.

6. Austan

Austan Second Unit

IMHO, I think it was a well thought out tactical move on Sony's part. Just imagine if Toshiba had a 1 year lead on them? There might not have been a perception of a "format war" and sales might be very good for HD DVD. Instead, the Samsung BP1000 was a contender and the press ate it up. Now people are very hesitant to buy either format. Come this November and Holiday season, expect a massive Blu Ray marketing campaign to hit the mass media.