should rear speakers be directional or omni-directional

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian Frey, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Brian Frey

Brian Frey Auditioning

Right now I am running on a 5.1 system. Soon I will be upgrading to a Denon receiver and will be going 7.1. I am currently running the Klipsch RS-3 (omni/octogonal shaped) for my rears.

Now I have a set of bookshelf Klipsch RB-3 speakers(directional) sitting in my guest room not even being used.

Could I use the RB-3's for my rear speakers and the RS-3 for side speakers. Or should I just buy another set of RS-3's?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Welcome to the Forum, Brian!

Can’t tell you about your specific speakers, since I don’t know anything about them but addressing your thread title… Omnidirectional speakers (better known as bi-or di-polar) are typically used when you have to sit close to the side or rear speakers – say, less than 10 ft. They are also good on the side walls of a fully enclosed room with show-box dimensions. They get their diffuse qualities by bouncing sound off of the front and rear walls, so obviously they don’t work as well of say, there is no rear wall – i.e., the back of the room opens to another room.

Directional (direct radiating) speakers work well if you’re about 10 ft. or more from them. This gives the soundwaves time to spread or diffuse before they get to you. If direct radiating speakers are too close to the seating, they tend to be easily localized.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Brian Frey

Brian Frey Auditioning

Well I have a back wall (enclosed room) and unfortunately my couch sits right up against it. And my rear speakers are directly above the couch. So looks like I need to purchase some more speakers (dipolar type) with the new Denon. [​IMG] Since I can't get 10ft or more away from the back wall.

4. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Brian, something else that might work for you is aiming the rear surrounds in a different direction, say straight up. This would bounce the sound off the ceiling and diffuse it a little more. I would try something like this before going out and buying new speakers, you never know... it might sound great.