What's new

Should men shave their legs? (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I can't be bothered shaving my face let alone my legs. Its annoying shaving the face every morning so I end up having a mild beard every couple of days, the legs would be even more tedious. Although I like having mildly hairy legs so I guess I wouldn't shave them anyway.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Us Asians have less hair to begin with. :) Bicyclists shave their legs to reduce the risk of infection in crashes, at least thats the story we're sticking to, damm it!
Soccer players naturally have no hair on their shins cause it's been kicked so many times, the hair is pounded into submission.. :D
Jay

Kevin_W

Second Unit
So after you shave your legs for while and then decide to stop, does the hair come back thicker and hairier than before?

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Shaving anything goes against my "low maintenance" lifestyle.
Why add to the list of your morning ritual?
Function over fashion, I always say.
And as I understand it, behind the knee shaving is a potentially bloody mess. :)

Mike_Mig

Stunt Coordinator
No man should shave their legs for any reason, at least that is how I see it. But I did take the area Pamela was referring to into account before a date the other night and, well, I was glad I did.;)
Mike

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
Never gonna happen here. If I could grow a decent beard I would, just so I didn't have to shave my face.

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Body builders shave their body hair. When I played football I shaved the hair on my legs from mid-shin down because I had to have my ankles taped. Under wrap prevented the tape from sticking to your hair, but didn't give you as tight support as directly to the skin. It only takes having your ankles taped directly to the skin once to realize you need to shave. It sure looked weird in shorts though.

Tom

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
(2) If you prefer an 'alternative' lifestyle.

Swimmer or Gay.
Are you guys really that clueless? I mean, really? No, gay guys DO NOT routinely shave their legs. Drag queens do it, but not every gay guy is a drag queen. I, for one, have never done drag in my life, nor do I have any intention to.

The only time I've ever heard of men shaving their legs, other than to do drag, is if they are swimmers of cyclists. Apparently then it can get in the way.

I've never shaved my legs ever (unless you count a small patch that needed to be shaved to get a tattoo).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The seriousness with which people take these passing fashions is really so naive. Most of us embrace the styles we grew up with, but can you rationally explain to me why women should shave various parts and men should not?

Somewhere on the Nubian HTF site scarification at puberty is being debated.

Jim

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
but can you rationally explain to me why women should shave various parts and men should not?
I don't think "should" has anything to do with it. It's purely an aesthetic preference. If (for whatever reason) hair (or the absence thereof) is preferred in a certain area, then it's no different than any other subjective preference. Most celebrate the differences between men and women, so it's not surprising that what they like on a woman is different from what they like on a man.

Bruce N

Second Unit
I think a man or a woman should shave or not shave any part of their body that they want to and it's none of anyone else's damn business! Everyone wants to tell someone else what they can or cannot do and that's bullshit!

My $.02

Bruce

Janna S

Second Unit
Except for the necessary instances discussed above, it is astounding to me that men would shave their legs, their backs, or almost anything else. For personal preference or hygiene purposes, of course, do whatever you like - but to think that this trend might develop into a cultural standard for appearance is downright yucky!

But then, perhaps every man who thinks women should shave their legs should shave his and maintain them for a month or two. And while he's at it he should assess his other expectations for female pulchritude - perhaps he should also pluck his eyebrows, shave his armpits, get fake fingernails, wear makeup (foundation, powder, eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush, mascara, false eyelashes, etc.), color and perm his hair, have his lips injected, and so forth. He may still like it, want it, prefer it, but at least he will know what he is asking women to do!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
but at least he will know what he is asking women to do!
Sorry, Janna, but do you have any idea what kind of chore it is to shave your face each and every day? Especially if you are the type with more sensitive skin?
I know women have to shave more body parts, but it isn't your face and it (usually) isn't daily.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
he should assess his other expectations for female pulchritude
What I find amusing about your post is that except for the shaving, I have ZERO expectations (or desires) about a woman doing ANY of the other things you mentioned. And I suspect it would surprise you how many men feel the same way. I think women often get the misleading impression that just because these expectations and trends are emphasized in the media, that necessarily means it's an accurate reflection of what men really care about. A truly beautiful woman doesn't need all that other "stuff".

Jun-Dai Bates

Stunt Coordinator
A truly beautiful woman doesn't need all that other "stuff".
So what are you saying about not truly beautiful women, Robert? :)
In any case, I think both Janna and Robert are right here. Men should try out those things they expect women to do (leg-shaving is probably the most important of these), but I do suspect that there are a lot of men that don't actually have these expectations, and that the media has a lot more to do with these things than the expectations of men. For this, I make two exceptions: I think most men here in America "expect" or prefer women to shave their legs, and to maintain a certain body weight. This is shown, if nothing else, through the on-screen sex idols that we pick (as accounted through popular polls, etc.)--though this is of course not an entirely fair means of assessment, because, as with presidential candidates, we don't get to pick our nominees.
Keep in mind, Rain, that there _are_ women that find it necessary (using the term loosely here) to shave their face (my mother is one of them), though not quite as often as most men. In any case, in terms of pain and suffering, I'd prefer shaving my legs over my face (I have very sensitive skin, but I have to shave for my job--as a security guard), but I'd prefer either, or even both, over trying to maintain an unhealthy weight (or even worrying about my weight for any reasons other than health).

Janna S

Second Unit
Hey, Rain - one of the reasons I live in Alaska is because I like bearded men . . . . I'd never ask any man to shave ANYTHING!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have no interest in what men do with their bodies, but I know my girlfriend would be greatly disappointed if I shaved my legs. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks