should kids be forced to watch "real" TV too?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leila Dougan, May 7, 2002.

1. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I'm not a parent so I'm really just looking for opinions on the "real" TV vs. cartoons debate.
    I know someone that has a 10 yr old son who loves to watch Cartoon Network. He doesn't watch anything inappropriate and his mother keeps an eye out on what he does watch. The main gripe she has is that he *only* wants to watch cartoons and not "real" TV. She says that a child needs to see how people interact and that cartoons do not provide such a foundation, whereas "real" TV does. So, she now makes him watch Charles in Charge and Dukes of Hazzard reruns in between his cartoons.
    I'm not trying to start any debates or anything, I'm just genuinly curious what some of you parents think about this. [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We grow up. We go through phases. We reach for that which interests us. Forcing someone to watch a specific type of programming is only going to breed contempt. And if the parent is so obsessed by "real TV" (misnomer there?), why doesn't she direct her charge toward PBS's programming? Seems commercial network programming is the last place to go when searching for "reality."

3. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

"The main gripe she has is that he *only* wants to watch cartoons and not "real" TV."

"So, she now makes him watch Charles in Charge and Dukes of Hazzard reruns in between his cartoons."

LOL!!!! That logic is so flawed, I don't even know where to begin!!!!

Does she really feel that The Dukes Of Hazzard and a show involving Willie Ames, are more beneficial to her childs upbringing than Cartoons???

That is hilarious!!!

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

5. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

I am the father of a 5 year-old. I don't 'make' her watch anything in particular, but I do make sure she doesn't watch certain things that I find innappropriate. I can't think of anything on TV that will show children the right way to interact with others. Kids should really be learning social skills from their parents, family, teachers, etc.
    What lessons would a child learn from The Dukes of Hazzard anyway? That you should hold the law in contempt and solve all of your problems by speeding around in your classic muscle car?[​IMG]
    There are actually some really good cartoons on now. Most 10 year-olds probably wouldn't like them, but my daughter enjoys Dora the Explorer (excellent show, teaches reading, counting, throws in some Spanish words), Blue's Clues (another great show for young kids, although not 100% cartoon), Bear in the Big Blue House (not really a cartoon either, but no real people). We even watch a lot of these shows together. Our favorite is SpongeBob Squarepants. My wife and I enjoy SpongeBob as much as my daughter does.
    Unfortunately, most 10 year-olds will want to watch shows that we as adults would have a hard time finding any redeeming value in (like Pokemon and that sort of thing). But hey, I grew up watching that kind of stuff (Force Five, Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers) and I haven't had any problem interacting with people. I think if you do your job as a parent, TV shouldn't have such an overpowering influence on your kids anyway.
    MikeP

6. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have no kids myself, here's what I'd do: let the child watch whatever he/she wants (children's and familr programming of course), just not too much of it, and make sure the child plays with real toys or other children a little bit every day.
    I always read a lot of comic books though, maybe that's an alternative for this child too. [​IMG]
    /Mike

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My daughter watches about 2 hours of cartoons a day, some of that is in the morning and the rest at night. That's it, the rest of the time is "real life" human interaction with kids or adults.
    Yet another clueless parent.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Kids should not be allowed to watch anything with an onscreen logo, because they will grow up thinking this is acceptable.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Jesse said!

13. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I do agree with you all. This woman's rationalization made me wonder, really, and I was hoping it wasn't a "parent" thing. She also seems to think that any programming that is animated is automatically for kids. She was appalled when she flipped past "Adult Swim" and heard, *gasp*, adult oriented dialog. Maybe in her mind, if he is watching cartoons he's not learning anything. But that's not to say he's going to learn anything more by watching Dukes of Hazzard. I tried telling her that animated shows/movies (especially anime) can be written for any audience, not just kids. I should show her some Hentai, don't think she could argue that THAT should be for kids! [​IMG]
    Anyway, didn't mean to go OT in my own thread. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going nuts or something. [​IMG]

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

15. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

my girlfriend has twin 7-year old boys who love watching cartoons. if they had the choice they'd sit in front of the tv most of the day.
    we simply don't allow it. they either get one long burst, then that's it, or they can watch a little "here and there".
    also, we monitor what they watch. usually that means if something inappropriate is on, we'll change the channel or just turn the darn thing off.
    we were watching "wit" (the hbo movie about cancer) and one of the boys was asking all sorts of questions. he was curious about what he was seeing in the movie. that was refreshing - to see some "active" thinking about what he was watching.
    as far as human interaction goes, whenever we go anywhere we (obviously) bring them with us. so we monitor their behavior and adjust accordingly (manners are important to us).
    btw - i'm not saying parenting is easy, but...dukes of hazzard?!?! [​IMG]

17. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

My 2.5 year old watches Toy Story and Toy Story 2 incessantly. I've seen each at least 40 times. It's funny when he will quote from the movie when we're at the store or something... I can't wait until Monsters Inc comes out so I can watch something new.

If you want wholesome cartoon entertainment: Dragontales. My son is into that as well.