What's new

Should I worry about spiders? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
My hometheater is in the basement and I was thinking of getting some cheese cloth to cover the back of my speakers to prevent spiders from building webs inside. Should I be doing this?

Kevin

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
and when they get in through other ways? if things are that bad why not exterminate?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Get a cat. No more spiders! :)
If that's not an option, you could try this: remove your speakers from the location where they currently reside. Spray the area with insect/spider killer, and let it dry. Then put the speakers back. Should keep them away I would think.

Martice

Screenwriter
Then you have Cat hair all over the place. I do have cats but they do not come in the listening room. It took a while to train them this way but they will not go pass the door way to the listening room.

Call the BUG BUSTERS!!

KennethO

Auditioning
Actually spiders are pretty hard to kill since they don't drag their bodies on the ground like most of the other crawling critters that exterminators kill. The last place that I lived had a problem with brown recluses (nice poisonous spiders that will cause hunks of flesh to die and fall out if the bite doesn't happen to kill). Most of the exterminators in the area simply said they couldn't do anything to get rid of them.

Martice

Screenwriter
I got it. Depending on how big the spiders are, have you looked into get a small mesh screen material to place over the vents of the gear in question. Another thing might be to see if spiders don't like excessive heat. If not, then maybe the amp vents may drive them away.
Maybe I'm reaching but I believe we are far from being S.O.L. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
But those spiders will kill the other insects!

Seriously: I don't think they would survive long enough inside your speaker boxes to do any harm. Who else gets there? And if they do: see my first remark.

BTW they won't influence the sound of your speakers, but they sure won't like it! I've never seen any speaker problem caused by spiders or spider webs.
Unless perhaps your basement is over-crowded with them, in which case most of your problems are on the outside of your speaker-boxes.

Cees

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Enough spider webs and it might act as a natural polyester fiber fill that may actually help the sound. :)
Anyways speakers probably get too hot and dry on the inside for spiders. Most house spiders like cool, dark, and moist areas. Speakers are only "dark".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks