Should I work out and run everyday?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van Patton, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

About one month ago I started to work out on my upper body and I can bench around 160 lbs. right now. My schedule is I work out every other day to give my muscles some time to heal from working out. My question is since I want to lose some weight I want to run everyday. If I jog 1 mile everyday will my muscles have enough time to heal with working out everyother day?? In other words here's what I could do:

1-Run every day, work out every other day

2-Run and work out every other day

3-Run days that I don't work out: work out days I don't run

So what do all of you fit people suggest?? BTW I'm 17 yrs. old, 5'10" and 180 lbs.

2. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Out of your 3 choices, I would

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

That disclaimer really inspired confidence.[​IMG]

4. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Well, you can try my routine if you're serious... but take it easy at first and build up gradually in intensity.
    I workout 5 to 6 days a week, and each day I will hit a certain body part or two REALLY hard. One day it will be Back/Lats, next day Chest, next day Biceps and Triceps, next day is Legs (the dreaded squat rack), and the next day I hit shoulders (delts/traps).
    When I workout a certain body area on a given day of the week, I will hit all areas of the muscles being worked by using a wide variety of movments and machines, and freeweights and dumbells. I try to really fry the area completely that I am working in order to stimulate growth.
    On top of working a single body area, I will then alternate a cardio routine in after my weightlifting is done each day. I will usually run 2-3 miles at a pretty good speed, and then switch the next day to Stairmaster for 20 minutes without holding on to the handles. I will alternate days back and forth with running, and stairmaster. If your knees give you trouble, try an elliptical training machine if one is available, or swimming laps.
    I find that working one group of muscles very hard one day each week gives them ample time to recover and grow stronger before they are assaulted again the following week. The muscles that are not being used primarily will get plenty of secondary stimulation during the week as you work other body parts, I have found.
    Try to push yourself, but don't overdo it. Just shoot for steady progress, or you may end up overtraining yourself and plateauing with your progress. Just do what you can as far as weight and running distance/stairmaster time and intensity, and you will be alright.
    A membership to a good gym really helps out, as you will probably find yourself much more motivated when amongst a group of people, and you need a gym with plenty of good equipment so that you can diversify your routines.
    -Best Of Luck [​IMG]

5. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Eat right, exercise, stay healthy and die anyway.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter