Should I wait to purchase an HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_M, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

I am seriously considering purchasing a new TV. The model I'm leaning towards is the Mitsubishi WT46807. Does anyone have any opinions of this model? I like the fact that it is 46" but still a tabletop (very lightweight). Obviously, HDTV's and HDTV ready TV's will become much more affordable over the next few years. My question is whether or not the quality of the sets will improve substantially. Would I be shortchanging myself if I purchased this Mitsubishi now? Will the picture quality of HDTV's be a lot better 2 or 3 years down the line?

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    The basic technology in rear projection TVs has not changed all that much in the last few years, and probably won't change much in the future. Prices will obviously go down as time goes by, but that happens with anything, and where prices are now you might save $500 by waiting two years... up to you to decide if that's worth it. And although people gripe that HDs are too expensive, the reality is that they aren't any more expensive than high-end analog sets were three or four years ago. So to answer your question, there's nothing in the future of rear projection TVs that is likely to improve picture quality in any drastic way... those types of improvements will be found in newer technology such as DLP or plasma sets.
    The Mitsu set you are looking at is one of my favorites and a great value - it looks great on DVD, satellite, and obviously HD, and pretty good on cable-quality signals. Its drawback, as with all tabletop RPTVs, is a lack of brightness when compared to full-sized sets. If the room you're going to be using it in can get nice and dark and if you have satellite TV, you will be very happy with the Mitsu 46"!