Should I wait to get a new cell phone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd K, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

OK, right now I have a Samsung SCH-8500, which I just discovered has been replaced with the SPH-A400, a sleeker, thinner, lighter model. I'm all set to get it, but then I discovered Samsung has also just come out with a SPH-A460 -- the same model as the A400, except it has two extra features: external caller ID, and the ability to handle 1xRTT networks.

Now I don't care about the external caller ID very much, but this new network thing does concern me. What is it all about? Does it mean only improved speeds for wireless web, or does it mean improved sound quality, too? I really don't care about wireless web features, only sound.

How soon before this new network will become mainstream? I ask because I can probably get the A400 (non-1xRTT model) for free, whereas I'd have to pay for the other one. If it won't be within the next 1.5 to 2 years, I'll get the A400 now, since I would probably get a new phone at that time anyways.

Thanks, if anyone can offer any advice,

Todd K

2. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I'm in the same boat you are in. This week at Circuit Shitty they have the A400 for -20.01 after all the rebates. That is correct; they end up paying you to buy the phone (as long as you can wait eight weeks for the rebate.)

I'm not sure about the upgrades. I thought the main advancement was the gps style locator where a 911 operator could excatly pinpoint your location.

The Sprint website has the A460 listed and it seems to be in stock; that the only place I've seen it.

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I am currently trying to figure out if the 460 is meant to replace the 400, I have written to samsung and sprint. Circuit City had no idea.

For me, it's not even about the phone necessarily, it's the ability to work with this new network. If it's not going to affect me for a year or two, I'd just as soon get the A400 and end my worries. But the fact that the A400 isn't compatible with this new network is listed as a "con" on just about every review site I've seen.

4. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

One thing to keep in mind if you're a Sprint customer is that Nextel's patent for the two-way radio feature runs out in November, and Sprint will promptly release phones and plans with that feature when they can. A guy at Radio Shack said they already brought some in for them to play with, and they just have to wait until November to sell them.

5. Jose C

Jose C Extra

The most visible advantage you'll see with a 1XRTT-capable phone is "potentially" faster wireless web access - as high as 144kps, although real-world speeds during peak times may be far less. It doesn't really offer any improvement in sound quality. Your current phone will continue to work just fine, as the 1XRTT part of the system is just an overlay that gets accessed if you have one of the newer models using it.

6. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I believe Jose's got it right. And, at the rate in which the carriers do a widespread implementation of 3G, we'll all have widescreen tv's with digital broadcast. [​IMG]
    Check out the CNet article on the A400, in which they state that the 460 is identical to the 400 with the exception of the external display and the 1xRTT compatibility. I'd go for the A400, especially at the reduced price.
    CNET's review of Samsung A400

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Todd, you'd also be the wiser for choosing the A400, pricewise. The A400 is less than a few months old and already it is discounted to nearly free with activation. The cell phone market is brutal this way.
    I currently have the Motorola v60c. Also relatively new, around a half year old through my carrier, Qwest. But I had to be bleeding edge and get it right away, paying quite a pretty coin for it.
    While I really enjoy this phone, its once MSRP of $399.00 has been slashed to nearly nothing by at least ATT and through other carriers (although the ATT version is called v60t, or TDMA). I sometimes gag when I see the Sunday circulars practically giving the phone away for free. Check this phone out - it's built of aluminum and feels like a tank, yet is as small or smaller than the A400.
    In regards to your comment on the external display...I initially shared the same sentiments as you did. But, once I became accustomed to the external display on the v60, I don't know how I did without it. Especially on a flip phone.
    But, again, you'd make no mistake in getting the A400. It's still a new, but proven phone that has fallen victim to market forces. An additional cachet to the phone...when your network makes it available, the A400 is GPS ready. Soon, you'll be able to find yourself. [​IMG]

8. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Well, it looks like things are going in my favor then, with the A400. If this upgraded network business isn't something that would affect me anyways, I think I would be wise to take the free offer. And external caller-id is nice, but if I don't know what I'm missing I think I'll be OK. I can't remember the last time I had to be so stealthy that I couldn't open the phone to see who was calling.

Thanks for all your advice, HTFers.

9. Christoph

Christoph Extra

I'm waiting for Bluetooth.

10. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

The wait is over...well kind of. The Motorola V270C is bluetooth ready and the accessories are slowly coming out for it. I had the pleasure of testing the bluetooth headset and my boss has the bluetooth handsfree set up in his Explorer- I have not had a chance to check out his set up yet, but the headeset is pretty neat- it is a little on the bulky side and the battery life is short, but neat none the less. I think Bluetooth will have a good future with cell phones, it opens allot of possibilities.

11. Derrick Lee

Derrick Lee Extra

One other benefit of a 1xRTT phone is the ability to receive calls while surfing the web. This is due to the packet-based nature of the technology. With current CDMA phones like my Samsung T300, if someone calls you while you are on the web, they will go directly to voice mail (or a busy signal if you don't have that).

12. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

I'm not sure if your service offers this (I know Verizon will), but the new next-generation 3G network phones (with great internet connectivity, etc.) will be launching later this summer.