Should I wait for HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Adrian Correia, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Adrian Correia

Hey guys. My old home theater system merits an upgrade but I was wondering if I should wait until HD-DVD beomes a reality?
    Will the upcoming technology involve some new features and formats that I could be boxing myself out of if I purchase a new receiver (I was thinking of the Pioneer 1015) in the next few months. So, please provide me with some pearls of Home Theater Wisdom....

2. Christian M

Christian M Agent

I'm kind of in the same boat as you...

I haven't really been keeping up with the developments with the next-gen stuff as of late but I decided to take the dive when hd-dvd/BD stuff becomes easily/widely available at my local blockbuster. Hopefully by then the format war (if any) will have ended and prices will haved simmered a tad.

I have absolutely no idea how long that may be but I'm pretty sure that's the road i'll be on. In the meantime, pricey upgrades will be towards amp(s) and speaker(s) as these wont really be affected by the new techs. Other stuff, dvd player, receiver/processor upgrades will be kept as much to a minimum as possible.

Christian

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Another thing to consider is your display. Likely, whatever format becomes a reality with HD DVD, it will only have the ability to send it's signal over a digital connection...ie DVI/HDMI. If your display doesn't have that input I'd wager you'll be SOL.

Mort

4. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Receivers are only affected if video switching is required. Alot of people don't even use their receivers today to handle switching since another piece of equipment in the chain can cause degrading of the picture.

5. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Receivers would certainly be affected by the new audio formats, which likely won't be available on current interfaces. Probably HDMI for the new audio formats? Do any current receivers even accept audio over HDMI? (Is the spec even final?)

Back to the original question.... it may take 2-3 years before moderately priced receivers like the Pio 1015 incorporate the necessary interface for HD-DVD/BD, so unless you want to wait that long I'd say go for it now and be prepared for another upgrade in a few years. HD movie formats are likely to be a niche for a while, given that the vast majority of folks going to BB don't even have HD displays yet.

6. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

As someone who bought the first Beta Hi-Fi VCR for $1500, first Laserdisc player in 1981, Pioneer projection TV in 1983, and a lot of program material for these formats, I can understand what you are thinking. Waiting for the next technical improvement in home theater, audio, or computers is never-ending. Yes, HD DVD's will be great, but within a few years after that, another format or storage media will be on the horizon.

Meanwhile, as others have suggested to you, upgrade other components in your system--your speakers and display. There is no reason to believe HD DVD's will require a different display than current HDTV's. In spite of all the hype about HDMI, DVI, Firewire, etc., component video (RGB) connections yield a very good HD picture. If you don't agree with that, most current HDTV's have digital video inputs, anyhow.

By the time the HD DVD format is available to us, the Pioneer 1015 will have been replaced by a receiver with DVI, HDMI, or whatever digital video switching. Receivers are not nearly as expensive to replace as speakers or displays.

7. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Dick,

It is not a question of analog component looking great on an HDTV. The problem is that full resolution HD signals may only be available via HDMI and downrezed in the analog domain to possibly only 480i/p (maybe 720p). This is a serious issue that's talked about a lot on AVS Forum with some industry guys who should know the scoop.

Also, these disc formats offer much better audio (if the studios use these features) than today's DVD's, and with Blu-Ray up to 8 discrete channels of high resolution, uncompressed LPCM surround! However, they will be available via the newest HDMI outputs only. Firewire may or may not make it to the specs. as Hollywood seems to have a hard-on for HDMI due to its ability to output uncompressed raw data from encrypted and compressed video, and compressed or uncompressed audio so you can't copy or archive it at all, or easily transmit it over the internet. Firewire, in its standard form, is usually used to send compressed data off the disc to some other decoder.

That's why I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I make any kind of upgrade on my display and/or surround processor. I have the amps, and I could use even better, matched speakers (and may upgrade soon), but these items are things that do not really change. It's the processor(s), the displays, and the players that have to be switched out all the time.