Should I Wait For 1080p Displays?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Evan R, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Evan R

Evan R Auditioning

Hi,

Just went shopping for a new TV, and a guy in the store (not an employee!) said I should wait for a 1080p display. When are these going to come out? I was looking at the Sony 34" Hi-Scan 1080i. What happens if I buy it, and they start broadcasting 1080p? Will the set totally freak out or? Thanks!

Evan...

2. John S

John S Producer

34" hi-scan?? Like a CRT?

The guy was basically talking about 1080p LCD and DLP I would think.....

I don't think any CRT sets will ever display at 1080p...

The ATSC tuners can usually take any digital broadcast and scale it to the resolution of your choice, so those of us with 1080i only should be OK on that front.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Add to that ... unless you are sitting 4 feet away from the TV, you cannot see the difference between 1080p and 720p ...

Regards

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Course, some make the same arguments with ED and HD sets as well. [​IMG]

To be honest, unless you are going for a real large screen, I don't see the benefit in it.

Jason

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Following the tangent here on viewing distance. I performed a resolution test on my 44" RP DLP unit which is 720x1280. I fed it a 720p multiburst pattern which goes down to 1 pixel width of black and white stripes. The point of maximum resolution.

I then started to step back from the TV ... and at 7-8 feet, the delineation of the lines of black and white pixels completely disappeared into a gray mass. I have 20/20 vision (corrected).

What does this mean? It means that I can't see the full value of the 1280 horizontal pixels at that point. I can see lines that are 2 pixels wide.

I am seeing the equivalent amount of detail of 720x640 ... to be generous to myself. 461,000 pixels.

So I would see 461K worth of information on this 720p set ... and if it were 1080p ... you'd see 461K worth of pixels too and no more.

I verified for myself that at this 8 foot distance that the 44" DLP pretty much looked the same as the 42" Samsung ED plasma that I also have. I'm 12 feet back from my plasma and no longer worry about this resolution debate. The image quality between the two units still is different though since one is rear projected and uses a different scaling algorithm to create its images. They are different ... but neither shows more detail at that distance.

Does one pay more money for something that they will never see? Are you paying for image or bragging rights?

6. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I notice a difference on My 42 inch Toshiba. Believe it or not, at about 5 feet away, 1080i actually looks a little sharper than 720p. Nothing huge, but slightly noticeable.

7. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

His question about our TV's being screwy...will our TV's still display the 1080i when the signal is 1080p? Or will we be buying new sets?

8. John S

John S Producer

Yes.. The idea behind digital TV and HDTV is that your tuner can be set to scale to your chosen output, usually the native resolution of your display.

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Who is going to broadcast 1080P? I think no one - your scaler may output this format, but it won't be an input.

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Gee, you are not likely to see any difference on a 34 inch display of any kind.

Alan has it right on 1080P. There are a host of problems with 1080P. If you want to read about all the problems, go over to AVS and look in the plasma and flat panel display section for a thread called "For those who MUST have a 1080P display..."

I think that will put your mind to rest.

11. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Certainly picture size has a major factor regarding the ability to discern 480p vs 720p vs 1080i/p. I have a 65" HDTV rear projection and 720p upconverted to 1080i looks identical to 1080i, based upon my viewing distance of 15 feet and the capability of my set (doubt it outputs 1000 lines let alone 1920).

My next purchase will be the first reasonably affordable (

12. Tommie

Tommie Agent

if you got the money and the intresst you might wanna eait for the better stuff =)