What's new

Should I wait about a month before hooking up my Acurus A125X5 to my new Sony DA5ES? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The reason I ask is that I want to know all of the sound characteristics of the Sony DA5ES so that I will be able to perceive more clearly the difference that the Acurus is making to the Sony's built-in amps. I am positive that it will be an improvement, but I want to be able to differentiate between the two. Has anyone ever done this w/ their setup?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yes

Give yourself time to fully familiarize yourself with the new receiver before making any more changes. Otherwise you won't know for sure where the changes are coming from.

GaryBrown

Grip
Kevin,

Is the DA5ES a replacement for some other unit? I am considering using the DA5ES as a preamp as well. I am currently using a TA-E9000ES for a preamp and am knocking around the idea of replacing it with the DA5ES to benefit from the new formats.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Gary, from what I understand, the DA5ES is supposed to be a replacement for the STR-DA777ES receiver, but I don't think that receiver will ever be replaced. I thought I was going to be able to do a review soon, but there is too much to tweak with on this receiver.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I say just hook everything up and enjoy it. I mean are you going to do blind testing to make sure that any perceived changes once you hook up the Acurus are real? Have you done blind testing with your old receiver compared to your new receiver? Are you prepared to take the amplifier back if you cannot tell a difference in a blind test?

If not, then I say hook up the amp and enjoy your purchase!

--Steve

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Why bother? Owning an Acurus A125x5 myself, I am certain that the Acurus is going to sound better then the Sony. So if you already have the A125 in your possession, they why wait?

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
My purpose in doing this is NOT to see if there will be an improvement in sound. I KNOW there will be an improvement in sound. I just want to see how much of an improvement that there'll be compared w/ the internal amps of the Sony . I expected a night and day difference when I hooked up the Acurus to my older model Yamaha - and that's what I got, but the Sony amps are strong and I'd like to verify just how big of a difference there is. Also, can I realistically say how good the Acurus is compared to the Sony if I never bothered to hear what its amps can do?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Kevin- I would select a favorite CD and play it over and over again using the DA3's own amps, and at the same time listen carefully and try to discern any strenghths and weaknesses in the sound of the recording. When you have these attributes firmly planted in your mind, then connect the Acurus. I think that you can now make a very reasonable judgement as to the differences between the receiver and the new amp. Don't try this with HT. HT will sound virtually the same in either configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks