What's new

Should I use the rubber bumpers b/t the speakers and the stands? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hey guys,

I finally moved into my apartment!!! I'm in the process of setting up my gear...can't do much as my TV and DVD player wont' be here for two weeks...gotta love military moves.

Anyway...

I have a pair of Axiom M22TI's and I built some stands for them. The stands have spikes that go thru the carpet and hit the floor underneath. The stands are also filled with sand. :emoji_thumbsup: The stands don't move at all. :)

The speakers sit very stably on the stands. They don't slide or move around...though I haven't fired up the PB2+ yet. :D That "no move" thing may change. :D Heheheh.

The speakers came with the little peel'n'stick bumper things. Should I put them b/t the speakers and the stands?

Thanks much.

Michael D

Alex F.

Second Unit
In my experience, there is nothing better than Blu-Tack (yes, that is the correct spelling). It's a putty that will hold the speaker and stand firmly together (yet it's removable when desired) and dampen vibration and resonances.

Available from Audioadvisor.com for $10 plus shipping. I've heard that hardware stores and some office supply stores sell a less expensive version as well.

Happy listening!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Alex.

I had heard about that Blue Tack stuff...I don't know if I want to put sticky putty on the bottom of my expensive (for me) speakers. :eek:

The little rubber bumpers that come w/the speakers are not sticky, but there is a good deal of friction b/t them and the bottom of the speaker...it's almost "grabby" if you will.

Anyone else?

Alex F.

Second Unit
I've never had any damage done with Blu-Tack over the last 10 years. It always came off and left zero residue. I've used it on inexpensive and very expensive speakers.

I know folks who use it on the most costly monitors in order to maximize sound quality. It works to do just that.

What more could one ask for than a substance that combats vibration, secures a speaker to its stand, leaves no residue, and allows a speaker to sound its best?

One thought: If, in the worst-case scenario Blu-Tack left a mark, who would ever see it on the bottom of the speaker, covered up by a stand?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I use these cork pads in the four corners. When I unpacked my new Paradigm Studio's one of the speakers actually had these on the bottom. So I'm assuming Paradigm uses these when testing the speakers after being built.

Kevin

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I second the the vote for Blu-Tack.
I works very well. It will not ruin your finish. That's the beauty of it. I used it to mount a 27 pound center channel on my friends big screen tv. I tried wiggling it after I "stuck it into position and I almost tipped the tv over. (not quite, but almost)

I wouldn't buy it from overpriced Audio Advisor though as it can be had inmost hardware stores for like $4.00.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can find stuff similar to Blu-Tack at your local hardware store (not sure what you have available on a military base). Blu-Tack should leave no residue. Some carry Blu-Tack, but there are other manufacturers who sell basically the same thing for a few bucks ($10 is a bit high). Note: Blue is not a requirement :) the stuff I found is yellow. Putting the speakers directly on the stands would likely do more damage (scratches) to the speakers than using anything at all, even the cork.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks a lot, guys. :)

I have an Office Max and a Home Depot near me, I'll check there for the stuff. The BX on base is very small. They have nothing of the sort.

How much of the Blue Tack do I use? Just little "pads" of it in the corners, or a whole slab under each speaker?

Thanks much.

ps
John, I LOL'd at the "Blue is not a requirement" comment. :D

Milt

Grip
I have von schweikert lcr15s on their stands with the rubber feet on the corners. I asked schweikert about the blu tac stuff, and they said if they won't be bumped by running children or pets the rubber feet are fine. It also makes it easier to re-position them if you need/want to.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Blu-tack doesn't dry, which is why it is good for things like this. After sitting there for long periods, particularly if it is under a heavy item, it will stick pretty darn well though.

Blu-Tack is actually blue, but the stuff I found is essentially the same thing. I've had it sitting around for about 2 years and it is still soft and pliable. "banana-tack" hehe. A couple spots of it in the corners should be plenty.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I got mine from Home Depot and it's an off white called Earthquake tack/putty or something like that. I only use 1/4" aboupt pea size and they flatten out really well with about a 1" round surface. It's really tough to get the stand off. I almost have to put my whole 200lbs to get the stand off the speaker....maybe I use too much?

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the yellow stuff in Walgreens drug store in the stationary isle for 2.99. I'm sure any drug store would carry it.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Excellent. Thanks guys. I really like this place. :)

On a plus/side note; my DSL got hooked up today. Now I'm browsing in style.

ps
No. Cable is not available here. I have DTV too. It also seems to be just dandy. :D

Joey_V

Second Unit
i have the same speakers as u do, the m22s (great arent they? ;) ) and i used the rubber feet that came with the speakers. i stuck it on the stand though and not onto the base of the speakers. works great i think!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hey Joey_V,

That's what I was planning on doing as well; sticking them to the stands. :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

John, I suppose you've done a "blue vs. yellow" double-blind listening test on the effects of each?

:D Just kidding!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks