Should I use standby mode?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Just curious..I've never used it. What are the benefits or risks of using this mode?

We usually turn the PC on in the morning, and shut off at night.

The machine is about a year old.

XP Pentium 4 HT PC

Thanks

Alfer

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The benefit is not having to wait for the computer to boot up. So that varies depending on how long that takes, depending on OS -- XP is relatively fast -- and how much startup crap you have.

You can leave things in whatever state they were; e.g. what apps are open, where their windows are. Opening apps takes time too.

You should always save things that need to be saved before leaving the computer.

With a lame OS, it's a good idea to reboot occasionally, and using standby would defeat that. XP is not as lame as earlier versions, and it's likely that you should be able to keep it running over a long time, rebooting only after installing the latest security update.

Depending on your computer, there may be a risk of it not waking up properly, in which case you have to reboot. (This can be a minor hassle for some computers nowadays that don't have a reset button.) The behavior, good or bad, could be consistent or sporadic.

The computer does draw a small amount of power while asleep.

For computers that I use every day, I have them automatically go to sleep after not being used for 30 minutes or whatever. When I leave for the day, I put them to sleep manually. These computers wake up reliably, otherwise I wouldn't do it. I turn off computers that I don't use every day.

Try it for a while. Remember to save your work regardless. You can set the system to prompt for a password when it wakes up, if necessary.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I don't use it for my desktops, but I regularly use standby for my laptop. I probably use it for 3 or 4 days without rebooting...it will hang eventually after running constantly with no reboot, so it has to be done periodically.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Honestly, I've never really used it, and my CPU is always on. I turn the monitor off when I'm not using it, but otherwise I just let it run all the time.

5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

My laptop at home is set to go into standby mode when not in use after 30 minutes. It does come in handy since I don't have to wait to boot up if I'm watching something on TV and want to get online right away.

6. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Can someone explain when to use standby vs. hibernation?

7. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor