1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I use spikes on my sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chauncey_G, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I use them on my mains, but didn't know if I should be considering using them on my sub or not. Any thoughts?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The SVS subwoofers did come with spikes. But (according to a recent post) the guys at SVS did lots of tests using different surfaces and found that spikes/no-spikes sounded the same. So now they do not ship with spikes (but some of their old manuals still refer to them).
    In fact, some audiophiles add weight to their subs to increase the sub/floor contact. So instead of trying to isolate like you do with a normal speaker, you are actually trying to couple the sub to the floor.

3. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Well what do you know...I'm doing it right! [​IMG]

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Actually, spikes couple a speaker to the floor, not the other way round. To isolate a speaker from the floor, you'd place it on an inner tube, or a similar form of suspension.
    Chauncey, try both and see what sounds best. A lot depends on the construction of your floor, there isn't any absolute right or wrong answer for this.

5. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

What about subwoofers that are specifically designed to be placed in cabinets?
    I've recently purchased a Carver Knight Shadow subwoofer and placed it in an open cabinet and I'm still experimenting with it. It's virtually identical to the Sunfire True Architectural Subwoofer that is designed for cabinet applications. It came with rubber pads, I guess the Carver folks regard coupling the subwoofer with the cabinet as not a good thing. No doubt relying on just moving the air in front of the speaker will greatly reduce the quoted sound pressure levels.
    Larry