should I use DVI connection or Component on my Pioneer Elite TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Youssef, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

I have a quick question. I have a Pioneer Pro 730 Widescreen HD TV and a denon dvd player. When i hook up the dvi connector to the dvd player I cannot change the color settings, sharpness etc. The only one i can adjust is temperature, brightness and contrast. However if i use the component cables i can do all of it. which one is recommended for this TV? Thanks in advance.

2. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

wow, thanks for all the replies.

3. John S

John S Producer

There just is not good answer...

Any given display, it really takes experiementation to see what works best as far as HD goes. In other words mile-age will vary.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

My understanding is that DVI is the all digital connection. But with an RPTV it's tough to tell since the set up with the video is analog based. My take on it is if you have it and you are viewing 480p material, heck use the DVI, it does bypass the extra Digital to analog conversion to show the video. Upscaling players have the problem of not showing HDCP Compliant material via DVI but if this is not an issue with you then use DVI.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Try both ... since the TV converts anything it gets to analog anyway. No idea if the TV does the D-A conversion better than the DVD player.

But if you can't change some user parameters and the image is just plain wrong as a result ... then there is no choice but to use the component inputs.

Regards