Should I Use DVD Tracker? Also, Labels for DVD Rack: Action, Drama, etc., Engrave?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChrisA, May 23, 2004.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Two questions:

I am missing 15-20 DVDs... It seems my former tenant or less likely one of the contractors who have been working on my house have taken various DVD's... When you're busy or have a lot of DVD's (around 900), it takes a while to notice.... I'm just really pissed off right now. At least 5 were taken by my formaer tenant who wasn't going to say anything until I happen to see them in his room, then he moved out and wasn't going to tell me... Besides getting ready to go postal, I was wondering if DVD Tracker is what I should use from now on? Anything better? How long will it take me to enter 900 DVD's? Any other advice?

I was also wondering what you use for physical labels on your DVD Racks... I have a Billy Bags 1000 DVD rack and was thinking it would be nice to label the sections: Drama, Action Adventure, etc... Anyone sell veclcro lables, engraved labels, or do you just print something from Microsoft word and stick it on the rack?

Thanks,

Chris

2. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

DVD Profiler: I think that is the one I meant to say. Isn't that the one used by Mario's Cinemar suite? Perhaps since I plan on using that someday, I should use DVD Profiler?

I believe the quality of the cover art is poor only the free version?? I think when you pay for the better version you get high resolution cover art...

I like the bar coder idea. Can I just get a USB bar coder for cheap, plug it in, and then just scan away? Anyopne else do this and have a recommendation on either software or the barcode reader?

Also, to my other question again:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was also wondering what you use for physical labels on your DVD Racks... I have a Billy Bags 1000 DVD rack and was thinking it would be nice to label the sections: Drama, Action Adventure, etc... Anyone sell 'velcro' lables, engraved labels, or do you just print something from Microsoft word and stick it on the rack?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

DVD Profiler is probably your best bet. The cover art does upgrade once you pay for it and what they are charging for registration is pretty modest IMO.

I have a CueCat PS/2 version barcode scanner, and it works pretty well. I have to do a hack so the output wouldn't be encrypted or whatever, but after I did that it works good.

As far as labels, I don't have any. I only have my dvds in alphabetical order not separated into genres. I have seen small 1-inch squares of velcro and you could attach labels that way but have never seen labels with velco already attached.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i think the latest version of profiler has a plug and use bar code option biult in.
    so if you have cue cat you can just use it.

ver 2.2

5. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I use the Cuecat also--Radio Shack was giving them away free for a year or so but I don't know if they still are---and have been very happy with how it works with Profiler.

With 900 discs, you'll probably want to get the pay version (one-time $25, which is cheap for what the program gets you) to eliminate ads and have a larger online storage capacity.

I also use DVD Tracker, and it's much more cumbersome to input discs especially in large bunches. It carries an annual fee of $10. DVD Profiler's a good deal more robust, but I like the easy accessibility of DVD Tracker so I can check my collection on the road or at work, so I end up needing to have both maintained simultaneously.

7. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

The Cue Cat is no longer available. I ended up getting this one:

http://idautomation.com/ccdreaders/SC4USB.html

I purchased the $25.00 version of DVD Profiler...

Hopefully this will be as easy as plugging in this USB barcode reader to my wireless G Toshiba M200 tablet PC and scanning in batch mode... hopefully there is a batch mode.

8. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I'm just really pissed off that there are lots of DVDs missing, many of which I will probably not remember because I bought them based on a review I read a long time ago... Unbelievable the way some people just screw you over.

9. Lyle_E

Lyle_E Stunt Coordinator

Next to barcoding ( dont have that many dvd's to warrant it)

What is the difference between all the different DVD tracking sites and how many are there?

I use the random filing system...
    The dvd tracker I am using now is the first one I came across?

10. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Chris,

RE: Category Labels for DVD Shelves

What I did for my extensive CD collection was to make heavy card-stock index cards with vertical labels on the ends of both sides and insert them into the shelf between categories. Each 8.5x11 card-stock sheet makes two inserts. After printing the two vertical labels I'd trim about 2" off the side so that only about an inch stuck out from the shelf past the edges of the CDs. I liked this way of labeling as it used very little shelf space and when looking straight at the shelves the labels were not too obvious.

I have debated doing the same for my DVD collection, but I have held off in expectations of a major change in the way I store my DVDs. Currently I use my DVD Box sets that fall within the categories as book-ends to each of those categories on a shelf thus clearly showing where, on all my DVD shelves, all the corresponding categories are located.

I hope this helps.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Can someone tell me what the DVD tracking sites are used for? Is it just a catalog of your collection or is it a way to document a collection for insurance purposes, etc? I've heard them mentioned here and there but I confess I never understood. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

12. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

What DVD Cataloging Software can do:
    • List DVDs You Own
    • List DVDs you have on order.
    • List DVDs you want to own/rent or just have interest in tracking for additional info.
    • List DVDs you have borrowed or lent out.
    • Be able to give you detailed info on the DVDs in your database such as:
      (Title, Production Year, Studio, Director, Actors, Genres, MPAA Rating, Running Time, UPC, SRP, Region, Release Date, Purchase Date, Case Type, Disc Format, Audio Format(s), Video Format(s), Subtitles, Special Features, Easter Eggs, Disc Description, Cover Art, etc)
    • Make custom categories for your DVDs
    • Be able to Sort and Search on most or all of the above as well as other categories
    • Be able to view and make reports on countless statistics based on information in your database.
      (For Instance you can track your spending habits, resale value, total value, best current price tracking on DVDs in your Wish List, etc)
    • Be able to manage DVDs that you have lent out and letting you know who and when they borrowed them as well as reminding you after a set amount of time.
    • Track the history of each DVD in your database
      (For instance, track how many times a DVD has been watched and/or rented and by whom and when)
    • Track which DVDs have not yet been watched.
    • Track which DVD are of films you have never seen.
    • Be able to store personal reviews of your DVDs as well as download other members reviews.
    • Direct links to a DVD's title within popular online movie databases like IMDB.
    • Give you an online version of your database for other's to view or for your own personal use.
    • And sooooo much more.

At least with DVD Profiler you can do quite a lot of customization so there is very little you can't do when it comes to managing and adding to your database.