Should I use Digital Coaxial or Analog for DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Thai, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Dennis Thai

Dennis Thai Auditioning

Hi,

I'm fairly new to home audio and would like some help connecting my DVD player to my receiver. I am using a Toshiba SD-4800 DVD player and a Sony ES STR-DA2ES receiver. My DVD player has analog 5.1 output, which I am currently using. It is connected to the receiver into the "multi channel input". I am thinking about buying a digital coaxial or a digital optical to connect the DVD player to the receiver. Can anyone explain the difference between the two? And which would give me the better theater sound? Thanks.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Use either the optical or coaxial digital connection. Basically, you are sending the bitstream from the DVD player and allowing the receiver's decoder to do the work, as opposed to using the 6 channel connection from the DVD player. In this case, the DVD player does the decoding. Most receiver offer more flexibility and features than if you use the DVD player's own decoder. Audio-wise, there may (or may not) be very minor differences.

3. Dennis Thai

Dennis Thai Auditioning

Thanks for clarifying that Neil.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

In nearly all cases, I recommend running the signal as digital and let the receiver do the decoding. This allows the receiver to do the bass management (where you set your speakers as "Small" or "Large", indicate whether or not you have a sub and choose the crossover frequencies) and speaker delays.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that your Sony has some of the best bass management now in a receiver. My advice is to take advantage of it!