Should I use a "Y" adapter to connect sub to a Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bell, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I'm probably going to get the JBL PB10 to go with my Axiom M22s. When I connect it should I just connect the subwoofer out to one of the two Line-Level Ins on the back of the Sub or should I use a "Y" adapter so I can connect to both the Left and Right on the Line-Level inputs. In the manual I downloaded it said just connect to either one of the Right or Left inputs on the sub and that it made no difference. But I read somewhere that you should use a "Y" adapter and connect to both for increased volume. So which is correct any differences. Thanks

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

From what I understand, a Y connector will give a little more volume when fed the same signal as a sub without the Y connector. But the kicker is that it doesn't matter so much because you would then calibrate to compensate for the added volume. Either way you decide to connect your sub (with or without the Y connector) the most important thing you can do is to calibrate your system with a Sound Pressure Level meter to ensure that you are getting the proper sound level from all 6 channels, including the sub.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Forget the Y. Using it will give you more volume, but so will adjusting the receiver trim. The only time the Y makes sense is if you need to trim the receiver high on the positive side. Otherwise, it just adds another RCA connection with no benefit.

4. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help.

5. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Hmm... if the sub's inputs are summed, doesn't that mean that if you apply the same signal to both L and R inputs, the net effect will be the same as applying twice the signal level at one input? These are line level inputs which work with voltages, so if we assume that the sub-out can drive the reduced impedance of the L+R inputs in parallel (which is what would happen if you put in a Y connector, I think), the voltage level should stay the same. So, it would be either X volts going to one input, i.e. X + 0 after the summing, or X volts going to both inputs, which is 2X after summing.
    Why won't it increase the volume level?

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

My auto function works better with the Y and volume does gane.

8. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

But, what has the Y-cord gained you?

Is the sub amp going to play any louder before it clips? Is the driver going to have longer excursion before it bottoms?

It's still the same subwoofer and it still has exactly the same output and you are still going to use the Dolby test tones to set the gains to match the other speakers in the system. The Y-cord isn't going to hurt anything, but it isn't going to provide any benefit.

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

when I first connect my Klipsch sub to my reciever I had hardly any bass, even when the volume on the sub and amp had been adjusted. SO I added a "Y" connector and that made a world of difference. So I believe that it DOES make the sub louder, how, I can't explain, too technical, but it does do it.

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It will make your auto function, on-off more sensitive to.This is a good thing.

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

12. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen Stunt Coordinator

I just got rid of my y adapter on a PB10 (the sub of context). I noticed no volume drop, but did notice that I got rid of almost all the minor white noise I was getting. I didn't make any volume changes on either end and it sounds the exact same other than the loss of the white noise.