should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian Pokosh, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Brian Pokosh

Brian Pokosh Agent

I took advantage of the denon 3803 deal at 6ave and will be receiving it on Monday. This will be replacing my Sony DE835, which has long needed replaced (the motorized volume knob recently failed). Below is my current speaker setup, all Acoustic Research:

(2) P428 PS Towers
    (1) AR2C center
    (2) 226 Bookshelf surrounds

No subwoofer currently, as the towers have 8" powered subs in them. With the new receiver I'd like to step up to a 7.1 channel setup. This is mostly used for movies and TV, with very little music. Room size is 22'x13'x7'. My budget for 7 speakers (not counting a sub) is about $1000, maybe $1500 if I wait till after Christmas.

My main concern is whether I'll get a marked improvment over the current setup within this budget? Speaker size isn't a problem, but would it be best to go with 7 identical speakers?

2. Brian Pokosh

Brian Pokosh Agent

My short list right now is the ELT system from av123.com for $899 or a set from Axiom (RAD is another I'm looking into). ELT is definately less expansive - I could get the ELT system (which includes a sub) and 2 extra bookselves for about $1100. Axiom would be close to $1400 without a sub for the M22's, 2 pair of the QS4, and a VP150 center. Axiom does offer free shipping a a 30 day trial, so it would be easy to spread out the buying into 2 or 3 seperate purchases over several months without any added cost.

So has anyone heard both of these and can comment on them? I have no way of auditioning either setup so I have to rely on word of mouth.