1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I upgrade to Weird Al's Ultimate Collection?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Schwartz, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

I've already got Weird Al's earlier DVDs: The Videos and Live. His new Ultimate Video Collection doesn't sound like it's worth upgrading to, except maybe for the remixed 5.1 audio. Has anyone compared the new DVD to the previous one?

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I've got the Weird Al Live DVD, but not the previous one with the videos. From what it sounded like on the website, I think the visual quality of the videos on the new release has also been improved. Plus, I'm not sure how many of the videos were on the prior release but this I believe has all of his videos on it, and I think its like 24.

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The new release has more videos on it than the previous collection. Videos such as The Saga Begins are on the new one. I have the old videos collection and love it, but am wondering myself if this new one is worth the upgrade. I will more than likely still get it.

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

FYI, The Saga Begins and It's All About the Pentiums ARE included on the LIVE disc.

5. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

6. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

The new disc also includes some nice extras:
    1.) Al's first national television appearance from 1981 on Tom Snyder's old "Tomorrow" show on NBC - Al sings Another One Rides the Bus with his drummer Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz (any relation, Joe? [​IMG]) drumming on his accordian case. A clip of this was seen on VH-1's "Behind the Music" about Al - this is the clip in its entirety (including Tom's segue to commercial after the performance).

2.) Clips from Al's Saturday morning kids' show from 97, I believe (the animated opening title sequence and the Lasagna, Bad Haircut, and Living in the Fridge mini-videos).

3.) An easter egg which is archival 1979 footage of Al playing My Bologna solo with just his accordian for accompaniment.

It also fixes a glitch from the original disc - the chapter break between Smells Like Nirvana and You Don't Love Me Anymore was actually a few seconds into YDLMA instead of at the end of SLN so if you chose to watch the latter from the chapter menu without watching SLN first, you missed the beginning.

I won't comment on the 5.1 sound since I don't have a 5.1 setup here at school - I'll leave that to someone else.

7. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

My only complaint is the random order the songs are laid out in. I always preferred the chronlogical order to the old laser disc.

-Ian

8. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Rubio
    Don't forget that the Spy Hard video now has a few of the titles put in their proper places (The Opening Title and Al's Credit).

Andrew