Should i upgrade to Goldi's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Khoa Tran, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

I have a PSB setup, mini's, c5i, and s10s with h/k520 with earthquake supernova10 sub, my room is about 17'x22' with opening to hallway, dinning room and one side with french doors to the den....my seating is about 16 feet away and i already calibrated but it seems empty...the speakers don't seem to fill the room....will upgrading to goldi's with an external amp extremely improve my sound? plus the minis will be going to the back for back center for the 7.1...i want something more solid and room filling then the minis...i'd probably stick somewhere in the psb status line because i can get a discount....could it be my placement? i have them inside a entertainment center, they are a little bit above ears so i had to tilt them....

2. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

I like the sound of the silveri's then the goldi's.

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Being 16 feet away is just too far for those Mini's, IMO. I would go for the Golds. But this opinion comes from a guy who is dreaming of going Gold up front.[​IMG] I currently have Stratus Silvers F L&R a C-6 with Stratus Mini's in the rear. With some Alpha's waiting in the wings to fill in the rear centre postion when I get more amps. BTW what are the s10's?

4. Khoa Tran

5. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The Goldi's will fill the sound better than the Minis, but IMHO the Minis image better than the Goldis. Personally I have a pair of Goldi's myself, and I think using the Minis as surrounds is a serious waste of money/quality and overkill. The Silveri's are very good too.

6. Khoa Tran

yeah well, if i upgrade to the goldi's what do i do with the minis? you know i don't plan on selling them...

7. Dennis Higgins

Dennis Higgins Auditioning

Hi Khoa,
    I have the same PSB setup as you!
    My plan is to upgrade to Silvers at some point.
    Just don't think I need the Golds.
    I love the 10S surrounds. I think they are actually
    the best speaker (for their purpose) in my system.

8. Khoa Tran

well i listen to alot of music and when i have parties, i need something that plays all around so i usually use logic7 or stereo 5 ...but still it doesn't have the quality that i want....the minis don't play loud enough and the s10s are really muddy...i want something more warm and room filling

9. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

HI Khoa. I used to own a pair of PSB Goldi's and they are wonderful speakers but you should have enough room to really get the best out of them. They are powerful and dynamic if that's what you are looking for. However, if you have a very good sub and couple them with the Mini's, you may not gain much more by going to the Goldi's. Infact, if you must upgrade, you should upgrade the speakers altogether and go for something more revealing or upgrade your sub. That's what I did and I don't regret the move whatsoever.
    The speaker I went with is from
    GR Research and I had the cabinets done by Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio Design. The speaker model is the AV1+ and they are wonderful speakers. My sub was done by Rob Lloyd of Acoustic Visions and it's been well documented how I feel about both of these companies and the purchases I've made from them.
    Do a search on 'GR Research' or 'AV1'and read the reviews.
    Good Luck with whatever choice you make.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,
    You don't have those damn things painted yet?! Check out my A/V-1+'s in cherry veneer!
    [​IMG]

11. Khoa Tran

I think my problem is probably the cabinet i have them in....i have taken them out before and set them ontop of boxes and heard them outside and they sound wonderful but i have a little brother and he touches everything.....with the minis inside the cabinet the sound a little thin and whenever i turn up the volume to about -15 it gets a little bright...is it because of the marble floors? i have four carpets covering the floor but there are a substantial amount of open marble...if i upgrade to the goldi's and position them into the corners, do you think my sound will extremely improve as in warm up the room and fill the hollow sound?
    [​IMG]

12. Khoa Tran

i have another problem, in my room i have a 2ch, 4 speaker Jamo setup....one of my floorstanders...one day i decided to play around and find out what's going on inside it so i unscrewed the woofer and checked it out, i screwed it back on the same way it came off....now when i play at higher volume the same woofer distorts =/ ahhh the other speaker plays fine...oh yeah this doesn't happen when i play at high volumes with something light but when i play something with deep bass like Drum and Bass it's noticiable...