What's new

Should I upgrade my subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

MikWRX

Grip
Real Name
Michael
I have an opportunity to grab a subwoofer that is 270 watts with a 10inch woofer and a Freq range of 20-160hz. My current sub is 150w with an 8inch woofer and a range of 37-160. Would it be worth it? This system is only used for TV and movies. thanks

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Michael,

That would depend on the sub itself. Do you have any info on the brand or manufacturer, and is it free or going to cost you? That will help us give you better feedback

MikWRX

Grip
Real Name
Michael
My current one is a Jamo 210. The one for sale near me is a Yamaha rsw300. He said he would take $300AU. My budget is about 300.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yamaha has never exactly been known for their subs. Even in AU$, that seems awfully high a price for that old of a sub. I'd think you could do better

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I have an 8" Yamaha YST-SW012 subwoofer packed away. I bought it next to nothing for a bedroom system but no longer use it. It is very inaccurate, over doing the higher bass frequencies making it sound very boomy. I've never been a fan of Yamaha speakers and not a fan of their electronics either.

Yamaha use to be a good company 25 years ago but their performance and quality have slipped to low end standards. If you want another subwoofer, I've read great things about SVS and Klipsch subwoofers. I love my vintage Velodyne subwoofer but it's not the same company anymore. I have a Polk 8" subwoofer and it sounds really good just doesn't doesn't have very low frequency response but is tight, musical and accurate. It's used for the Polk satellite speakers that have absolutely no bass.

I looked up your Jamo sub but it appears to be a European model that has different specs than US models. Seems that it closely mirrors the same specs as my Polk TL1600 subwoofer which sounds worlds better than my Yamaha subwoofer. Polk subs don't seem to go very low in frequency so I wouldn't recommend one of them for an upgrade but if I were looking to replace my Velodyne, I'd be looking hard at a SVS PB-1000. It looks to be very very similar all the way around.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MikWRX

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Thanks guys, I have given the Yammie a miss. I will keep looking for something used that is better. Someone has a rel T3 around here but they are asking 600. Seems high for used though. I have offered 350.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Myself, I don't like buying used. I don't know to much about Earthquake but for the same money a SVS PB-1000 pro can be had at Amazon or Crutchfield. To me, the SVS looks like a much higher end subwoofer, but it's huge.

Good luck in deciding.

MikWRX

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Myself, I don't like buying used. I don't know to much about Earthquake but for the same money a SVS PB-1000 pro can be had at Amazon or Crutchfield. To me, the SVS looks like a much higher end subwoofer, but it's huge.

Good luck in deciding.
Sorry, that is Australian dollars. SVS cost about 899 for the base model here... 999 for the pro.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Wow, that's a decent price difference. Here, the prices seem pretty close.

As long as you can audition the Earthquake and send it back if you don't like it, then it's a no brainer. I've read that Earthquake doesn't let anyone review their stuff which throws red flags up in my mind.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks