Should I upgrade my 'PREDATOR 2' dvd with the new one out today?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm buying AVP later on today and was also considering picking up the new Predator 2 SE to replace my old one.

What's the new one have that would warrent this?

The old one already has a very decent anamorphic transfer on it, so what's the new one have in terms of extra's? I also assume that FOX used the same master for this new one? Does it feature a DTS track like the SE of Predator?

Thanks.

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

The extras are decent but not great. A couple of mediocre commentaries, a mediocre documentary, some blah featurettes... There's enough here to add up to a passable overview of the flick, but nothing stands out as terribly interesting.

I thought the transfer was the same, and the DTS track improves slightly on the DD one, but not by a lot. Unless you're a big P2 fan, I'd stick with the old disc.

Here's my review: http://www.dvdmg.com/predator2se.shtml

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Colin,
    great review, very in-depth! [​IMG] You've answered my questions and then some, i'll be getting this new one today. It sounds to me at least, that the most disappointing thing about this new release is the still gallery, it's so stupid that you can't pause them. [​IMG]

The interview with Kevin Peter Hall is all I needed to hear really, IMO he's the greatest actor to ever portray a creature in the movies. Not just as the Predator but as Harry in Harry and the Hendersons as well. It's hard to portray emotions when you have no lines in the film and it all relies on your body language, and he pulls it off in both films.

It's such a shame he's not with us anymore. [​IMG]

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I read the DVDFile review saying that the transfer is improved....they even had screencaps to show this.

As for me, I think I'll hold off on purchasing this for now. There's already plenty for me to watch on my shelf.[​IMG]

5. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

IMDB say this film was edited down from an NC-17 to a R. Does anyone know anything about this? I might hold out a little longer for the uncut version.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I picked it up at midnight. Only $12.99 at Meijer, and I had a $25 gift card to use anyway, so it seems like a decent upgrade to me. I'll check out the extras later tonight.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

I saw Predator II only once, many years ago when it first came out on VHS. I didn't remember liking it too much back then. But for $12.99 it may be to cheap to pass up to bookend the original film. It seems like a good amount of people on this forum like the film. And I was much younger when I first saw it, maybe I would appreciate it more today.

8. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The original "Predator" is proof that "Predator 2" could have been a lot better. Similarly, "AvP" is proof that "Predator 2" could've been a whole lot worse.

9. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Sunday I saw PREDATOR SE and Predator 2 SE sold as a double feature set at Costco for $16.95 and I would have picked it up, but I already have the DTS Predator and didn't feel like double dipping that movie.

10. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Well, I bought it, and am actually very pleased with this dvd.

It goes into the film just deep enough to satisfy me, I even learned a couple of things regarding Gary Busey's charactor in relation to the original film that I didn't know about previously, not to mention a rather startling revelation by Busey himself about what happened to Dutch (Arnold) after the first film.

As Colin stated, if your a fan of this film, I recommend it. I also did a comparison between my original dvd and the new one, the image quality on the new disc, to me anyway, appears to be ever so slightly better, by just a hair mind you. And the audio was great, the DTS track did sound very similar to the DD track, but the dialogue seemed to stand out more and Alan Silvestri's score sounded excellent.

Yeah, i'm happy I picked it up. I haven't even opened AVP yet! I'll do that now I guess. [​IMG]

11. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

John, I own the first release and don't plan on buying this new one, however I am a big fan of the movies - could you tell me what the startling revelation by Busey about Dutch is?

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Steve,
    in one of the interviews with Busey, he states that the reason Arnold wasn't in the sequel was because his charactor, Dutch, was killed not nine weeks after his ordeal in the jungle. He didn't say how, but I assume he was killed on some other mission somewhere.

I find that strange because in one of the comics, I could have sworn that the government tapped Dutch to head up a squad of men to specifically seek out and eiminate any future Yautja (the true name of the predator) visitors to our planet because he successfully killed one. Perhaps, given how much thought Busey puts into these kinds of stories which is one of the things I like about him, he said Dutch died as a cover-up because Dutch had to leave his old identity behind.

It's this kind of shit that makes movies fun, using your imagination to come up with ways as to why an actor isn't in a sequel, in the context of the charactor he/she played, instead of dwelling on the real life reason.

13. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

I bought my copy last night, and I'm really glad I did. Predator 2 is a total guilty pleasure of mine and I've been holding out on buying it on DVD for it seems like forever now, in wait of a nice SE. Good price, good disc and case art, good menus and excellent audio/video (compared to the last version I owned of this movie-VHS tape) makes Matt one happy fellow.

Wasn't there a Predator comic from Dark Horse that had Dutch's daughter or great-granddaughter as a main character?

14. Porfirio

Porfirio Second Unit

I don't know about dutch having a daughter, but I do remember that the Predator comics had Dutch's brother as the main character.

15. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I have always preferred Predator 2 to the first film, and I snatched up this SE last night. I've been wanting a SE of this one for forever. Haven't had time to watch it yet, but its nice to hear that the extras deliver and that the transfer is slightly better.