What's new

Should I upgrade my Polk speakers, or not? (1 Viewer)

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. It's almost time to get my taxes back, and I'm upgrading my crummy Yamaha RXV-430 to something better. So far, I'm thinking about the Yamaha RXV-3300, the Denon AVR-3803, or one of the Pioneer Elite unites. As for my sub, I'm really leaning towards the HSU VTF-2. The specs are good, the price is right, and the reviews make it a no brainer. It'll be replacing a crappy Sony SAWM20. My speakers are the Polk RTi line: RTi38's up front and in back, and the CSi40 center speaker. I think they're really awesome, especially since I got them on clearance, and I honestly don't think I can do better for $500. But, I have to ask, would the Ventriloquist VT-12 give me better performance? They look nice, and people seem to love the crap out of them, and at $199 with purchase of an HSU sub, it looks like a steal. It may not be much better that my Polks, if they're even better at all, but should I give them a shot? Let me know. And please tell me if I'm making the right "upgrade" choices? The system will be used mostly for movies, and my living room is pretty small. I've been trying this for about 4 years now, and I really want to do things right this time. I've wasted enough money by buying low end stuff. I wish I had enough money to buy "seperates", but I guess that will have to wait a couple years. Well, guess I'll wrap this up. This post is too long as it is. Take care.

Thomas

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator
I really wouldn't bother switching from any bookshelf speakers to small sattelites unless space or significant-other's-approval was a real issue. Your Polks ought to be fine.

Dave Shepard

Agent
If you really feel the need to upgrade I would go with Polk RTI-70's for front but if you are happy with the 38's no need to change and would not change the Polks at all they are very good speakers.

Dave

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Going to the Ventriloquist system from your Polks would be a step down, not up. I'd go with the Denon 3803 and then perhaps a couple Polk dipole/bipoles (fxi50s) for the sides with the rti38s in front and rear surround.

- Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks