Should I upgrade my dvd player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RalphR, Mar 20, 2002.

1. RalphR

RalphR Extra

Hi. This is my first post! I recently bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX receiver and a HD-620 rptv. I have an older Elite dvd player, the DV-09. I'd like to upgrade this unit with a newer dvd player. I'm leaning toward the DV-47A but I'd like some opinions of what you think I should get to match up with the quality of my new components. It doesn't have to be an Elite product. Maybe my best move is NOT to do a thing and stay with the DV-09. Thanks for replies and thanks for all the info I've learned from this forum!

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

The DV-09 is an excellent unit. I would keep it since you may not be able to sell it for a whole lot and you may decide to use it as a cd transport when and if you do replace it. Personally, my opinion of the Pioneer Progressive Scan players isn't too favorable based on the DVD shootout as well as my local dealer's own opinions based on customer feedback. From what I understand, the DV47, while a good value in terms of features, isn't up there with Panasonic RP91 in terms of video. You may want to do a search on the DV47 and initial impressions.

It's priced between the DV37 and 38, offers more features, but probably doesn't have the build quality of either. (just in terms of weight).

Personally, I would wait for the Denon 3800 (coming in mid April) and see if its superior de-interlacing and new progressive scan image meets everyone's expectations. You won't get SACD, but given the quality of your components, why lump everything in to one unit?

Elbert

3. RalphR

RalphR Extra

Thanks, Elbert...there are so many choices in the dvd market and quite a few new models coming out. I think I'll hang onto the DV-09 and test some of the newer ones out.

4. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Good idea.. I'm standing pat on my Panasonic H1000 prog scan. Isn't great in terms of deinterlacing, but then again I don't view that many video-based sources and hardly any subtitles. It doesn't have the chroma bug and the build is incredible. When the Denon 9000 comes out, I'm going to sell my Panasonic H1000 for $650 (i actually resodered some key wires with silver wire and changed the ac cord to a 15am removable IEC).

I have a fealing that this upcoming year will have a lot of practically flawless dvd players, starting with the Denons...

Elbert

5. David Wood

David Wood Auditioning

You may want to check out a recent thread on the AVS forum re the DV-09 with the comments from Stacy Spears of Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (www.hometheaterhifi.com). If you haven't checked it out already, you should also review the DVD Player shoot-out on that website.

6. RalphR

RalphR Extra

Thanks for the link, David. I'm checking that out right now.

7. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

I used to have a DV-09. Great player, but it was slow with navigation. Also the slow motion didn't perform to well going backwards. It froze up.
    I also have a VSX-49TX. I was leaning towards a DV-47A until I saw this post.

8. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello Ralph and welcome to the forum! As you can see I'm very new to this forum myself, but find the info from it quite useful in many areas. With regard to your post about a possible dvd player upgrade, I would like to suggest a new Toshiba. I've owned 2 different players since getting into this wonderful format and both were reliable (models SD-2109 and most recently the SD-6200 pro scan). The SD-6200 is no longer on the market as it has been replaced with this year's SD-4700. This looks like a great player which not only has pro scan along with Toshiba's usual great features, but has DVD-Audio capability and is very cheap. If you haven't already done so, might I suggest that you take a look at it. Good luck!