1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I upgrade my DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ryan Jameson, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Ryan Jameson

Ryan Jameson Stunt Coordinator

I've had my current player for about 5 years now, and have experienced very few problems with it. It's a Sony DVP-s550d, and I think the only problem has been the occasional audio/video synch problem.

I'd been using it with a Sharp 27" TV that finally went out on me a few weeks ago. I quickly bought a Sony 30" Widescreen to take it's place. The TV looks incredible, especially when playing DVD's. But since my player is not progressive, I can't help but wonder if it'll look even better with one of the newer progressive players.

So, will upgrading make a noticable difference? Any recommendations for progressive dvd players in the $100-$150 range?

Thanks!

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

You can get a pretty nice PS DVD player in that price range. Panasonic makes good players in that range as well as most all the other major manufacturers. I recently bought an upscaling Samsung DVD player that I am really happy with and cost me just a little bit more than 150 bucks. It displays an excellent picture on my 40" RCA HD RPTV. If you are willing to spend just a little more see if you can find a player that upscales as well as has other capabilities such as DVD-A and SACD playback. Others might not agree but the Samsung I bought, a DVD HD841, has all these features and for my purposes at least, was a great find and buy. If you have an HD capable TV you owe it to yourself to buy a DVD player that will take advantage of all the benefits your new TV has to offer.