Should i upgrade my B&Ws 300?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Boris_V, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Boris_V

Boris_V Agent

My current setup consists of four B&W DM303 for L/R/Surround, one LCR3 for the center and an active subwoofer (Jamo D7 Sub). Now i'm quite happy with these speakers (i'm speaking of the B&Ws, not the sub which is superb), they can play pretty loud and produce a fine sound and are quite possible enough for my small home theater (the half of a 18 square meter room, sitting approximately 2.3 meters close to the speakers) the only thing that bother me is a certain lack of the upper bass, probably in the 80-120Hz region, the so called kick bass, therefore it seems to me that the sound is somewhat thin sounding. It's quite hard for me to explain it to you, because english is not my native tongue, so i hope you got it what i meant. I'm not quite sure if this is because of a to weak amp (i have an Onkyo 595 for now but will replace it in the near future, probably with the NAD T752) or because of the speakers. What should i expect from a front speaker upgrade, let's say to the B&Ws DM602 for L/R and an LCR600 for the center channel? Is the price premium justified or is it overkill and i should go with the smaller models DM601 and LCR60 considering the small room or should i upgrade at all? And what about the receiver, how big would be the difference between my current one and the NAD T752 or should i get the T762 right away (take into account that i listen at reference levels sometimes)? I hope you can give me useful advices on my current situation.

2. Boris_V

Boris_V Agent

No one here who would give me an advice? No B&W user? Come on, there are so many people posting in here, i can't believe that's it. Please.

3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Boris, I had the 303's.

I was teadering on this off and on, I couldn't decide, keep the 303's (I was going for 5 all around) or upgrade to 602's. I kept thinking about the expense of $3000 CDN to do this, or just stick with the 303's as I found they sounded excellent. As long as you have a good sub with them.

I went to my dealer with some material in hand to listen to, he has 2 rooms. 1 with 5 303's and 1 with 5 602's. I spent time in the room with the 303's a smaller room to help the 303's even! Then I switched to the 602 room. MAJOR difference, the voices were more natural sounding, the impact was greater. I had made up my mind almost immediatly! I listened to all the material and and it all sounded great.

So I got my quote (was buying in a month or so) I was all ready to purchase. But then got a great deal on some Studio 40's (Paradigm) for less than the 5 602's even with my trade-in of my 303's and I liked the 40's more.

But if you have a smaller room I would go 602's front with some 600's rear or 601s.

4. Boris_V

Boris_V Agent

Thank you for posting!

Hmm..., as it appears after reading your post upgrading to the 602's from the 303's would be a major improvement in sound, so i'm almost certain now that buying these speakers is one of the next acts i'm going to do, the only thing that bother me somewhat is your quote that you liked the Paradigm better (could you be more specific, please) althoug they were way cheaper, does that mean you wouldn't consider the 602's great bang for the buck? On the other hand, isn't Paradigm a Canadian company? That would explain the large price difference between them an the British B&W's, since $3000 CDN for five of them is a lot of money! Here in Slovenia i can get a pair of the 602's for approximately $700 CDN ($1 US = $1.55 CDN, right?). How much did you pay for the 303's then?

The other thing that gives me some headache because of not having enough money at the moment is should i first upgrade the speakers or the receiver? I don't know, maybe my current Onkyo 595 wouldn't be enough for driving the 602's at loud volumes, although i would drive them as SMALL, redirecting the low frequencies to the subwoofer.

And almost i forgot, what about the LCR600 as a center, has someone listen to them? How good are they?

5. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Boris, I guess you are getting a good deal on the 602's I think I paid $480 for the 303's and the 602's are $900 here. No discount. The paradigms are canadian and I got a wicked deal (free centre channel). I'm sorry it should have been $2000 cdn + tax [​IMG] I typed it wrong. This was with my trade in of 303's as well though. So I was getting $700 back so it was close to $3000 [​IMG].
    I'm sorry I'm not familiar with your amp but you need some good power for these. 120watts per channel is usually enough. I haven't heard the centre my dealer won't sell centre channels so I was going to buy 5 602's. Sorry I can't help you there, but you should probably go with the larger one.
    Or heck go with 6 602's and use one for the rear [​IMG]

6. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

I have the 602s3's and they are wonderful speakers. I did not audition the 300 series at all, so I cannot comment on those. I did audition the Nautilus 804 and compared them to the 603 and 604. A huge difference in price between the two lines. Not as huge a difference between the sound. The Nautilus are beautiful and a lot of the price is paid for that stunning cabinet. That cabinet also improves the imaging and the Nautilus simply disappear. The 600 series 3 speakers sounded very close to their much more expensive counterparts. The 602's image very nicely (obviously not as well as the Nautilus) and also offer surprising bass for a bookshelf model. Just be sure to put them on very sturdy stands and get them away from the wall a bit. I also have the LCR 600 and I love having a center with as much authority as my fronts.

I see B&W and Paradigm speakers compared quite a bit on this board. They must be direct competitor's at several price points. I've never heard Paradigms, but they must make nice sounding speakers since they have so many fans. From what I can remember reading, people thought the B&Ws are a bit more neutral and perhaps less "exciting" on some music. Also some people commented on the soundstage depth as opposed to width. I can't remember which had more depth and which had more width, but each one was said to excel in one of those departments. Hope this helps at least a bit.

7. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

Sorry I forgot to address your receiver. The 602s are listed as recommended with 25-120 W at 8 ohms. The Onkyo would probably be fine at lower listening levels, but I would be concerned that the Onkyo power is not clean enough for high volume listening. You could fry a tweeter. I use a Parasound 1205 biamped and this gives me plenty of clean power. I also used the Parasound 855 at first and this also did a fine job. I would say the wattage of your amp is not as important as getting some reasonably clean power. Just watch the volume until you upgrade your receiver/amp.

8. Boris_V

Boris_V Agent

As it is now, i'm tending to the 602's and LCR600 (it appears they are wonderful, can't wait [​IMG] ) for the front when it'll be time for upgrading speakers but am quite certain that the first think i'll do now is buying a new receiver, probably the NAD T762, 'cause i believe that's one of the reasons i'm missing fuller, punchier sound since many times i read on this and other forums that japanese receivers in general tend to sound more "clinical", more "thin", stressing the higher freqencies more, whereas the NAD is more warm, fuller sounding and also because B&W and NAD are supposed to be a good match. Then i'll have powerfull amps and will be able to connect my new B&W's without having fears to destroy them.
    Thanks guys for participating in this thread! [​IMG]