What's new

Should I upgrade from my DVL 90??? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
I have a DVL 90, got it 2 months ago for under $1000.00. It was my first LD player since I went straight into DVD but I had too have the original Star Wars Trilogy as it was meant to be (Greedo did NOT shoot first).

Question is: I heard the player plays a big part in video quality. Should I hunt for a better LD player? Is Pioneer Elite DVL 90 enough for a dead format. I mean odds are these will be th only 3 LDs I will have along with a few Criterion I might hunt for that do not have same features on DVD.

Still not sure if this player play VCDs (another format of which I won't have more than 2 or 3 discs but would be nice to play them) and as a DVD player it is really not anything worth writing home about.

Actually the DVD picture is really bad, dark, muddy and has trouble with a few (totally choked on the Abyss!!) DVDs and more. Therefore I will obviously get another "better" DVD player. Should I sell this puppy and go for a LD only player?

Any help would be nice...

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I've always liked the interlaced DVD section of my DVL-91. First it was hooked up to a 32" sony. Then I splurged for an Elite 610.

I've never experienced dark or murky pictures with it. I purchased it new and never had issues with it.

That said, I use the DVL-91 for laser now and a RP-91 for DVD. The progressive outs are a large improvement on my calibrated 610, plus the RP-91 provides DVD-Audio.

Bottom line for you Rolando is your display. If you own a progressive display then yea, upgrade. No progressive display... then hold off.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Actualy I have a PRO 710 so yeah Definately need a better DVD player but as an LD player should I keep this one? Or go for an LD only of higher caliber. How much better will it be?

Jamie

Stunt Coordinator
Rolando, have you thought about maybe going a direct DVD and LD route, maybe such as purchasing a used CLD-97 or 99, they can be had for around $500.00 now. I have the 97 and can tell you that it is much better than my friends DVL-91.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
People are trashing DVL's :eek: even with the rosewood side panels?
Well screw the 97's & 99's! Why not go for a HLD-X9?
Seriously though, I own a DVL-91 because in early 98' I wasn't convinced that DVD was going survive (DIVX etc). I hedged my bets and bought a combo. Part of the upside was still being able to pick off some decent Laser box sets as they tailed off.
I would think at this time, (if you don't have a large LD collection worth hanging on to) progressive DVD with DVD-A and/or SCAD would be the area to persue. To each his/her own.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The DVL-90 is a great LD player, equivalent to the dedicated CLD-79 and CLD-D704. I would keep it if I were you. It's also very handsome looking if I remember correctly.

Jamie

Stunt Coordinator
John, screw the 97 and 99?? Huh? I guess if you want to go out and spend $2000 on a HLD-X9, that's cool. That's a lot of cash though, I guess it's all relative when quality is concerned though. The last time I checked, the DVL-91 was selling for around $900.00 if not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks