Should I upgrade from my DVL 90???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rolando, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I have a DVL 90, got it 2 months ago for under $1000.00. It was my first LD player since I went straight into DVD but I had too have the original Star Wars Trilogy as it was meant to be (Greedo did NOT shoot first).

Question is: I heard the player plays a big part in video quality. Should I hunt for a better LD player? Is Pioneer Elite DVL 90 enough for a dead format. I mean odds are these will be th only 3 LDs I will have along with a few Criterion I might hunt for that do not have same features on DVD.

Still not sure if this player play VCDs (another format of which I won't have more than 2 or 3 discs but would be nice to play them) and as a DVD player it is really not anything worth writing home about.

Actually the DVD picture is really bad, dark, muddy and has trouble with a few (totally choked on the Abyss!!) DVDs and more. Therefore I will obviously get another "better" DVD player. Should I sell this puppy and go for a LD only player?

Any help would be nice...

2. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I've always liked the interlaced DVD section of my DVL-91. First it was hooked up to a 32" sony. Then I splurged for an Elite 610.

I've never experienced dark or murky pictures with it. I purchased it new and never had issues with it.

That said, I use the DVL-91 for laser now and a RP-91 for DVD. The progressive outs are a large improvement on my calibrated 610, plus the RP-91 provides DVD-Audio.

Bottom line for you Rolando is your display. If you own a progressive display then yea, upgrade. No progressive display... then hold off.

3. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Actualy I have a PRO 710 so yeah Definately need a better DVD player but as an LD player should I keep this one? Or go for an LD only of higher caliber. How much better will it be?

4. Jamie

Jamie Stunt Coordinator

Rolando, have you thought about maybe going a direct DVD and LD route, maybe such as purchasing a used CLD-97 or 99, they can be had for around $500.00 now. I have the 97 and can tell you that it is much better than my friends DVL-91.

5. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

People are trashing DVL's [​IMG] even with the rosewood side panels?
    Well screw the 97's & 99's! Why not go for a HLD-X9?
    Seriously though, I own a DVL-91 because in early 98' I wasn't convinced that DVD was going survive (DIVX etc). I hedged my bets and bought a combo. Part of the upside was still being able to pick off some decent Laser box sets as they tailed off.
    I would think at this time, (if you don't have a large LD collection worth hanging on to) progressive DVD with DVD-A and/or SCAD would be the area to persue. To each his/her own.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The DVL-90 is a great LD player, equivalent to the dedicated CLD-79 and CLD-D704. I would keep it if I were you. It's also very handsome looking if I remember correctly.

7. Jamie

Jamie Stunt Coordinator

John, screw the 97 and 99?? Huh? I guess if you want to go out and spend $2000 on a HLD-X9, that's cool. That's a lot of cash though, I guess it's all relative when quality is concerned though. The last time I checked, the DVL-91 was selling for around $900.00 if not more.