Should I upgrade from JVC XV-S60 before expensive professional calibration?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nick B, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Nick B

Nick B Stunt Coordinator

Hello All:

I guess I am being bitten by the upgrade bug. I purchased a JVC XV-S60 two years ago. It was my very first DVD player. I have now become addicted to this forum and have learned a tremendous amount about HT. Last year, I purchased a Toshiba 50" HD RPTV. I have read that it is a very good idea to have it professionally calibrated. I have also learned that an integral part of the calibration is matching the TV to the DVD player.

Before I spend what I consider a significant amount of money to have a professional come to my home to do the calibration, I am wondering if I should upgrade my player. What is the honest opinion on the JVC unit? Does it even compare with the Denon and Sony units I have been reading about? BTW, I have a Denon 3803 receiver.

Should I bit the bullet now, pre calibration? As always, your opinions are greatly appreciated. Take care.

Nick

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No, the JVCs compare with the el-cheapo models out there since it has a cheap de-interlacer. Look for a model with the top-rated Faroudja de-interlacer. The cheapest new model with it is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $250. I got a used top-rated Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for $200.

3. Nick B

Nick B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Don. I appreciate your input. I had a feeling the consensus would be to upgrade. The ISF calibration will be setting me back $550, so I kind a feel foolish doing it on an "el cheapo" player. Does anyone disagree?

As far as players go, does the forum have any suggestions? Since I have a Denon 3803 receiver, I am already prejudiced toward Denon. How do the 2200 and 2900 compare? Is the 2900 worth the extra $$$? Thank you for your thoughts.

Nick

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Denon DVD-2220 is a wise choice, the 2900 just provides a little more for special audio-only DVDs which I don't care much about. For video they are identical.