What's new

Should I upgrade from JVC XV-S60 before expensive professional calibration? (1 Viewer)

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:

I guess I am being bitten by the upgrade bug. I purchased a JVC XV-S60 two years ago. It was my very first DVD player. I have now become addicted to this forum and have learned a tremendous amount about HT. Last year, I purchased a Toshiba 50" HD RPTV. I have read that it is a very good idea to have it professionally calibrated. I have also learned that an integral part of the calibration is matching the TV to the DVD player.

Before I spend what I consider a significant amount of money to have a professional come to my home to do the calibration, I am wondering if I should upgrade my player. What is the honest opinion on the JVC unit? Does it even compare with the Denon and Sony units I have been reading about? BTW, I have a Denon 3803 receiver.

Should I bit the bullet now, pre calibration? As always, your opinions are greatly appreciated. Take care.

Nick

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No, the JVCs compare with the el-cheapo models out there since it has a cheap de-interlacer. Look for a model with the top-rated Faroudja de-interlacer. The cheapest new model with it is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $250. I got a used top-rated Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for $200.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Don. I appreciate your input. I had a feeling the consensus would be to upgrade. The ISF calibration will be setting me back $550, so I kind a feel foolish doing it on an "el cheapo" player. Does anyone disagree?

As far as players go, does the forum have any suggestions? Since I have a Denon 3803 receiver, I am already prejudiced toward Denon. How do the 2200 and 2900 compare? Is the 2900 worth the extra $$$? Thank you for your thoughts.

Nick

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Denon DVD-2220 is a wise choice, the 2900 just provides a little more for special audio-only DVDs which I don't care much about. For video they are identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks