What's new

Should I turn down this Bose offer? (1 Viewer)

Daniel*

Auditioning
I recieved an offer from a buddy of mine for a brand new Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker set, and a pair of Acoustimass 10 speakers for a 'full' 7.1 speaker set for $400. Now I know the board's feelings on Bose speakers in general, but I feel I cant turn down this offer. The speakers will be powered by a Yamaha HTR-5960 in a 13x13 room, and be 70% music/30% movies/tv. Between space and decor of the room, the Bose are definately the most visually appealing, and in my opinion look pretty damn good wall mounted (hopefully all 7 will be mounted). Does anyone have any counter ideas with palm-sized speakers for around the same package price. Any and all help will nbe greatly appreciated.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's no way i'd take that deal...esp given your music preferences. If you want better sound check out something like the little KEF's, Energy Take series, in-wall speakers or maybe something as large as Paradigm atom's as much better solutions then the Acoustimass 'speakers'

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
If it involves the word "Bose" you should turn it down. Unless you like pan & scanned sound. :p

Do a quick search on Bose on the forum and you'll find piles of threads recommending some alternative small speakers.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
You should DEFINITELY take the deal.....then the minute you take delivery on the stuff, you should put it on Ebay, sell it for twice the price, and then get yourself a real friggin system.

Daniel*

Auditioning
hahaha, compared to other systems I've heard and seen, I know this system really can't compare to it sound-wise, and a better system is also in the works, but can anything beat this system for $400...?

Doug Z

Stunt Coordinator
If sound quality is your goal then the answer is yes. The acoustlessmass will put out some good sound for it's size, but go listen to some Paradigm bookshelf or some Polk LSi 7's or 9's and regardless of their price (which is good) and you will understand what you are missing. The fact that you want to listen to 70% music give the Swan 2.1 a try from Newegg. Spend your money wisely from the beginning and get something you will enjoy listening to, start out with 2-channel if you are on a budget and expand later.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
Unless it would offend your friend, I would take AlanZ's advice. People are willing to pay a lot more than $400 for the Bose name. Say what you want about the quality but their marketing is genius.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Actually buying them and flipping them on eBay isn't such a bad idea from a money stand point as they'll fetch a good price there. If that's not an option look for a set of the Energy Take 5's either new or used. They're about the same size as the Bose but will sound far better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks