What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Should I try one of those "High Mileage" motor oils for my van? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Sami: Thanks for cheering me up, I feel much better now......jk

Dave: Can I tell the difference by inspecting the plugs? What else should I be looking for? Hotter plug huh? No, I've always used an OEM plug. Autolite single Platinum AP-765. May be worth a shot though.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Sami: Thanks for cheering me up, I feel much better now......jk

Dave: Can I tell the difference by inspecting the plugs? What else should I be looking for? Hotter plug huh? No, I've always used an OEM plug. Autolite single Platinum AP-765. May be worth a shot though.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The following link explains Autolite's plug numbering system.

Autolite Numbering System

In your case an AP-766 would be one heat range hotter.

Here's another link explaining spark plug heat ranges.

Heat Range Info

Oil fouling is most commonly caused by worn rings, so unless you have other external leaks you're trying to correct, I'd give this a shot before experimenting with oils.

-Dave

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Dave: Thanks for the links, good info! I don't have any other leaks, a ring job is really what it needs. Any "down-side" with using a hotter plug on an engine with very high mileage? Does it make any difference if all my miles are at highway speed(65-75mph)?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Well, if that engine has a particularly high compression ratio, there is the possibility that running a hotter plug could cause the engine to ping. Simply because the plug will retain more heat which could possibly cause the mix to ignite before it's suppose to, which is what detonation(pinging) is. I have no idea what the CR is, but in a non-performance oriented car with worn rings, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

I'd replace that one plug with an AP-766 and see how it goes. If you notice any pinging or drop in gas mileage because the computer is retarding the timing to keep it from pinging, pull it out and put the stock part# back in.

-Dave

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I wouldn't go swapping heat range on a 97 3.8 motor. Dave's theory is correct but can post a problem with many motors(including the 3.8), which one them he mentioned, engine ping. Just one more reason for a Ford Check Engine light to trip. Also John, an Autolite plug is very comparable to a Motorcraft. Autolite made plugs for Motorcraft for years. An AP-765 is not the right spark plug for this vehicle. If you're going to use an Autolite an APP-765 (double platinum) is called for on a 3.8. Anything less than an OEM plug or a higher end platinum, 9 times out ten, trips the Check Engine Light on these later, more sensitive Fords. This isn't a 71 Chevy with a 350. Do not swap heat range. Try a spark plug non-fouler to get you by.

John, also the Valvoline MAx Life you eluded to are not all synthetic. The full-synthetic will be marked as such, Max Life Synthetic. Most new car dealerships in this area carry many of Max Life products. The full-synthetic may be a bit of an overkill, in your case. It won't hurt either. I'd use just the regular 10w-30 Max Life.

Like Garrett kind of said "there is no magic in a bottle." He must be in the biz. Well except for Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. As close to magic as you'll get. :)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm sure having a fouled plug has already tripped the engine light and stored a misfire code or two. Having the knock sensor pick up detonation and retard the timing does not, at least on GM's. And I do have to admit I'm much more familiar with GM's. Still, I don't think you have anything to loose, but Zen seems to be more knowledgeable about this particular engine so...

-Dave

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Zen: You’re right, the updated OEM plug for this vehicle is the double platinum APP 765. But my vehicle came with a single platinum plug when manufactured and that's good enough for a vehicle with 185k+ miles. Pardon my ignorance, but what’s a “spark plug non-fouler”?

Dave:“Well, I'm sure having a fouled plug has already tripped the engine light and stored a misfire code or two.” You are correct sir!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

You can pick one up at any auto parts store. You'll get the concept when you see it. :)

Dave, I didn't mean to railroad. Just one of the quirks I've picked up in the biz over the years. I apologize. It was more like "Hey, I know this one!" Most of the time, I'm a hack. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

You can pick one up at any auto parts store. You'll get the concept when you see it. :)

Dave, I didn't mean to railroad. Just one of the quirks I've picked up in the biz over the years. I apologize. It was more like "Hey, I know this one!" Most of the time, I'm a hack. :)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Hey John, I'm impressed that you got 185k miles on a Windstar with original engine and tranny. You must have gotten one of the good ones.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Hey John, I'm impressed that you got 185k miles on a Windstar with original engine and tranny. You must have gotten one of the good ones.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Bob: I think you’re right. This vehicle is notorious for head gasket problems and other things. But, in my own defense, I'm anal when it comes to P.M.. This is the third vehicle and second Ford that I've got over 150k+ with the original engine and tranny! Hey, my vehicles have to last for long time, I’m a cheap S.O.B!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Bob: I think you’re right. This vehicle is notorious for head gasket problems and other things. But, in my own defense, I'm anal when it comes to P.M.. This is the third vehicle and second Ford that I've got over 150k+ with the original engine and tranny! Hey, my vehicles have to last for long time, I’m a cheap S.O.B!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daryubel
Recent bookmarks