What's new

Should I trade my PS2 for an X-Box? (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Seeing that new Metal Gear video makes this a tougher decision all of a sudden.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
If you're really strapped for cash and you're fairly convinced that the upcoming games on the Xbox will command more of your gaming time, I say go for it.

Expectations from console gaming tend to vary among individuals. I haven't kept tabs on the future offerings for the Xbox (other than "Halo 2" and mostly PC ports), but I do know what's on tap for the PS2 and Gamecube for this year and next, and I would never consider relinquishing either console. With "Halo" for the PC due shortly and titles such as "Doom III" and "Half-Life 2" tailor-made for the PC platform, it's yet another reason why I've delayed my purchase of an Xbox. Your needs as a console gamer, I'm sure, will differ from mine.

Here are a couple of links for PS2 and Xbox release dates (all titles have links to related articles, screenshots and movies):

PS2 release list
Xbox release list

Sites such as IGN and Gamespot offer fairly in-depth coverage of games that were showcased at this year's E3. There are literally hundreds of games in development for both platforms, so you should spend some time doing research on both before making an eventual decision.

Everyone's definition of what constitutes fun is different. As long as you understand what yours is, you'll be happy with your decision.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I own an XBox, a Gamecube, a PS2, and a decent PC.

I could get by without the PS2. But you aren't taking my XBox!

XBox online gaming is wonderful, and has cut WAY into my PS2 and GC gaming the last half-year or so. Plus there are some killer offline exclusives, like Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and DOA3. Plus, most multi-platform games are notably visually superior on the XBox, especially if you have an HDTV.

That said, I really prefer to own more than one system, but it's hard to beat the XBox if its genres and online ability matches your interest. Splinter Cell 2 will be online with the XBox...Deus Ex is exclusive...

And I played online with the PC for seven years. In general, the XBox online experience is superior.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I own all three consoles and a PC as well. Out of all the systems my PS2 is used the least, BUT!, most enjoyed. I am an avid RPG'er, and if you like RPG's this is the system to have. Xbox is great for having your buds over and going for a little 4 player spin once in a while. But I have logged many more hours on my PS2 than my Xbox. Oddly enough though,, I own more Xbox games than all my other systems combined, go figure. Seems multiplayer games just never get sold, but RPG's never get played again. If a game comes out on all systems, I will definately pick it up for Xbox, as the controller is better, and 5.1 is sweet. Oh well. Just my 2 bits...

KC

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The argument of 'buy the system with the most games' assumes that everyone has the same tastes in games. I can't count the number of times people have told me that the PS2 is the most essential system because of the number of RPGs.

Guess what? Tons of gamers don't even like turn-based, japanese-style RPGs.

There is a different flavor to many of the exclusive games for each of the 'big 3' systems. There is no one correct system for all gamers.

AlexJ

Agent
I own all three consoles and PC as well and I like them all for different reasons. But if I had to choose between PS2 and Xbox, I'd go with Xbox without question.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I think it depends on how much time you can devote to gaming. I sold my PS2 shortly after I got my X-Box and haven't regretted the decision an ounce. Between my PC and my X-Box, I already have more gaming than I have time for.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I can't count the number of times people have told me that the PS2 is the most essential system because of the number of RPGs.
I think it's fair to presume there's an automatic "if you like Japanese-style RPGs" to be added to that ;)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think it's fair to presume there's an automatic "if you like Japanese-style RPGs" to be added to that
Not really. For some reason most people in todays society (and especially on the internet) assumes that everybody is just like them and if they have a different point of view they are just too stupid to realize they can't see the light. :)

They also assume that every question has one correct answer.

I wish I was joking.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I own all three systems. I'll guess I will be the first to say it. I play the ps2 the most. Mainly because it has the best group of games. The game cube comes in second, as far a playing frequency, but that's of my boys little boys, I play it the least. As far as graphics, I guess the xbox is better, mainly because of the hdtv potential. Otherwise I don't see much of a difference and I even have them all connected to an hdtv. Actually I have been impressed at one moment or so with all three systems. Sound wise, xbox has dolby digital in game use which is cool, but Playstation has dts potential. The game cube uses pro logic II, which isn't as good as dts or dolby digital, but still quite amazing, especially the sound test on rogue leader. With all that being said, I guess I do use my xbox as a "special game playing time". You know like dts is to dolby digital, director's cut as opposed to standard release, The large theaters as opposed to second runs theaters, The playoff's as opposed to regular season. Still in the end If I had to chose one I'd go with the playstation, even though the xbox is better a playing dvd's.

one curious note, many of you chose the xbox, why is that not reflected in the sales.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
one curious note, many of you chose the xbox, why is that not reflected in the sales.
Why does McDonalds sell more burgers than other restaurants that have higher quality burgers, even at the same price?

Sales success does not represent quality; it more often represents effective marketing, habit, tradition, convenience, and perception.

I own an XBox and a PS2 and frankly I don't think the PS2 game library pales to the XBox library. Only a couple of PS2 games each year really grab my attention.

But that doesn't mean I think I'm 'right', and it doesn't make you right either (your statement that the PS2 has 'the best group of games' is wholly subjective and is in no way a fact). Different people have different tastes, and will prefer different kinds of games.

Each system is different and will appeal to a different demographic. And sometimes that appeal overlaps a lot and some gamers buy multiple systems. But if you just want to buy one system, be warned that there is no correct answer for all consumers.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
XBOX LIVE RULES!!!!!!

Just had to get that off my chest. I don't play my playstation at all. I gave it to my 3 yr old daughter to watch dvd's in her room. Once you get to the 50"+ screens, playstation is unbearable.

On a direct view tv, using the tv for the sound (not a receiver). I think I'd go with playstation. But for the HT enthusiasts, there's only one choice..(it starts with an X ;))

StevenK

Second Unit
From a technical perspective, I think many people will agree the XBox is on a different level. I truly believe there is a very noticeable difference in video and sound quality between the XBox and the PS2.

Oh but the games....

How I wish I had a PS2 for the upcoming Gran Turismo. There are just some games on a certain platform that make it truly great or unique to the prospective buyer. When I was choosing between the two, I chose Halo over GT3, Morrowind over GTA Vice City, and Splinter Cell over MGS. Those games were the games I was really interested in, and I felt between those choices, the XBox was the better one. For different people, GTA might be overwhelmingly preferred over some game on the XBox. So it's not just the number of games available, it's the ones that suit your taste. In the end, you have to decide which games you like in order to choose the system.

BTW, when GT4 comes out, I'm getting a PS2.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have an XBox and Im buying a PS2 (next week). :)

Theres too many games between both systems that I want to play. I gotta have both.

But the Xbox does rule. :emoji_thumbsup:

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
"Sales success does not represent quality; it more often represents effective marketing, habit, tradition, convenience, and perception."

I never said it did. My statement wasn't for the purpose of being pro Playstation 2. I was trying to say, that since the X-box was introduce to the public, it seems that it has been praised as being better than playstation 2 nearly 2-3 times more people than those whose have praised the PS2. As I said before in my previous post that personally I don't see that much of a differance between the three. Yes, they are all different but I see it as trade offs at best. Yet I do treat my xbox as if it's the superbowl of game playing, and the ps2 is the regular season. In the end, though, I still play the ps2 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks